Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post by Kunda1 »

The dev who coded it received a cease and desist.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

Open for further discussion:
  • |---- better textures managements (get working MultiMaterial, layers and rotation variable?)
  • |---- more advanced grain direction support
  • be able o generate CNC cut sheets
  • library with fixture and panels parts that can be easily inserted
  • be able to generate exploded drawings?
  • be able to subdivide boxes?
Already available somehow:
  • work with boxes
  • be able to assemble those boxes
  • be able to drive the boxes dimensions from a spreadsheet
  • generate panels from those boxes
  • generate specific attachment points from these panels, those attachment points can become holes, or be use to hook other objects (screws, hinges, buttons, whatever)
  • be able to generate BOM
  • be able o generate conventional drawings (plan, front view...)
  • wood joints
  • resize furniture via Spreadsheet
  • multi-page Spreadsheet export
  • wood properties - grain direction, type of wood, color of wood,
  • edgeband (quick way, described, detailed by selection),
  • dowels, pilot holes, countersinks,
  • custom furniture part,
  • 32 mm cabinetmaking system.
I also added "better textures managements (MultiMaterial, layers?)" from myself. The position at list is random.

Anything else? Anything should be corrected?

EDIT:

I forgot to add "wood joints". There even macros for that. At Woodworking workbench, if it ever happens, there could be button for each join type.
Also copied from getDimensions - Docs things that are already possible. The docs could be copied or even improved to wiki or somewhere and I guess this could be good starting point for FreeCAD woodworkers newbies.
Also connected 2 first points because if you improve the MultiMaterial you get solved the issue with grain at "the professional" level.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
CandL

Post by CandL »

Wish I would have found this thread sooner .... the problem with all open source projects.

I have installed the Woodworking WB on windows with FreeCad 0.20.

I am familiar with other Workbenches:
  • A2Plus
  • BIM (the topo problem has caused me to abandon this for now, tried to create an as-built drawing of our house, failed 4 times)
  • Path (yes I have a CNC)
  • Part Design
  • Spreadsheets
  • Sketcher

Other than the supplied macros, what does the Woodworking WB add for me? This is an honest question. not trying to be a pain.

I will also add the discovery of the Joint macro was a heck of a find ... I have been writing my own mortise and tenon spreadsheets, going to toss that one now.

Regards
Carl

PS
Darek, please check the forum for a private message
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

CandL wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:55 pm Wish I would have found this thread sooner .... the problem with all open source projects.
FreeCAD is such a project supported by enthusiasts, volunteer in the free time. You do what you need for yourself and if you decide to share it with others, the rest benefits from it. This is not a corporate job, under time pressure and maybe that's the coolest and gives fun. Unfortunately, in life you have to pay bills and this is the saddest aspect of this type of software. Open source business models aren't perfect.

CandL wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:55 pm I have installed the Woodworking WB on windows with FreeCad 0.20.
I'm glad that it works on Windows, because I don't have Windows so I have no idea what python modules you have after a normal Windows installation ;-) You are able to update macro tools? You have urllib?

CandL wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:55 pm Other than the supplied macros, what does the Woodworking WB add for me? This is an honest question. not trying to be a pain.
I also added fully parametric examples, there is also Drawer that Yorik mentioned, so maybe you find it useful

I have no idea what you need there? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

bntarc

Post by bntarc »

Dear dprojects,
Thank you so much for developing the Woodworking workbench.

Notch Connector
Could you add the Notch Connector?
You can find it in the CurvedShapesWorkbench:
https://github.com/chbergmann/CurvedSha ... /README.md

You can see in the forum:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=43781
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

bntarc wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:04 pm Dear dprojects,
Thank you so much for developing the Woodworking workbench.
Nice to see someone found it useful. Thanks.
bntarc wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:04 pm Notch Connector
Could you add the Notch Connector?
You can find it in the CurvedShapesWorkbench:
https://github.com/chbergmann/CurvedSha ... /README.md

You can see in the forum:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=43781
This question is more about how to approach the external macro adding. I am thinking about it and I have no idea how to solve this problem yet.
I don't want to add someones code at my github. I could add button for auto download but I still thinking if this is good idea.

Regarding Notch Connector I plan to add fully parametric picture frame that will be using this type of joint. I guess, you can simply achieve this joint by bool cut operation. For joints you can also see the joints macro.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

zohozer

Post by zohozer »

I downloaded this days the entire Hettich fixtures library. They are all 3D DWG files and I need to find a way to batch-convert all this files into .FCStd files. Have somebody a script to do this automatically?

imos fitting data

For now I managed to convert them to 3DM (Rhino) format.
Thovthe

Post by Thovthe »

Having read this thread I have about 5 things to say:

I've used a workflow driven by parameters in a spreadsheet that is a little easier in other CAD packages where things aren't so separated into workbenches, I may describe this in a later post.

------

I haven't used assembly3 yet but since you can have parts inside the same file it's probably what we want. What are the downsides/dificulties of using it in furniture/woodworking context?

------

For laying out on sheetgoods this modification to the existing nesting code should be quite doable for any of the devs who have shown interest in this workbench:
  • Scale overall dimensions of each part/panel to be larger by somevalue defined in the spreadsheet (kerf).
  • Do the nesting operation.
  • Find the center of the part (bounding box?) and note where this point is on the sheet.
  • Move points half the kerf toward whatever edges are being nested against. (Maybe this is toggleable.)
  • Remove scaled versions and place the original parts in the same orientation on the translated center points.
Now everything is separated by the kerf and this can be (maybe?) passed off to the path workbench for generating G Code or TechDraw for printing with measurements. Let us know if there are any problems with this approach due to internals.

Grain orientation is obviously nice but this works for any anisotropic materials (MDF, OSB, Acrylic, ~plywood). It would be nice to set grain orientation from the spreadsheet per panel. Maybe as a column Grain Orientation; with (L)ong edge; with (S)hort edge; (N)ot applicable. Grain can be done after the above changes have been made as they are necessary for both anisotropic and isotropic materials.

------

Would be cool to be able to select 2 adjacent assembled panels and specify the type of joint (pocket screw, biscuits, through screw, etc.) and spacings and have it generate a layout that can be used by TechDraw (or maybe even 3d geometry). Maybe something like the LCInterlocking workbench but for dovetails?

------

A library of parametric parts/stock materials and sketch templates.
(dimensional lumber, sheetgoods, hardware)
Sounds like someone attempted this before and got a C&D, maybe we can determine which companies are so proprietorial (about what amount to marketing materials :eyeroll:) and which are not?
Last edited by Thovthe on Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bntarc

Post by bntarc »

Dear dprojects,
Thank for the magic panel, that great!
Thanks for the video: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dproj ... Panels.gif

It would be great to add PartDesign Pocket to the work bench. https://wiki.freecadweb.org/PartDesign_Pocket
It can be use for:
- Dado
- Groove
- Rabbet
- Pocket
- Cove
- Mold
Attachments
Congé iso zoom.png
Congé iso zoom.png (35.51 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
Rainure.png
Rainure.png (10.09 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
Feuillure.png
Feuillure.png (9 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

bntarc wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:20 am It would be great to add PartDesign Pocket to the work bench. https://wiki.freecadweb.org/PartDesign_Pocket
OK, I just added this on my laptop to not forget about it during next commit.
However, I have never use Pocket ;-) I use Sketch instead to create decorations like this here: top_001. Mostly because you can describe each constraints there at Sketch and get all the dimensions later at BOM report. In case of Pocket this should be specially handled, but it is not currently readable by the BOM tool.

I would like to add some kind of "cutters" on "Magic Panels" and step by step get rid of FreeCAD commands because the FreeCAD command little slow down loading FreeCAD. To have them I have to import very heavy Draft libs, but this is far away plan, there are many issues to solve, and probably they will never disappear ;-)
bntarc wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:20 am Dear dprojects,
Thank for the magic panel, that great!
Thanks for the video: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dproj ... Panels.gif
The Magic Panels are mostly dedicated for simple things creation for now. But more panels will be the simpler furniture design process will be. For sure they will not cover all the possible ways of furniture creation but this will simplify the process, I hope.

For now I need to look closer at "Magic Panels" based on Pads and some kind of operations on that, I mean "cutters" for example to make 45 angle frame like that. If this is hard to implement or not. I want to keep it simple ;-)

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects