Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dprojects

Re: Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post by dprojects »

bntarc wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:20 am
Support for Pocket has been already added to the Woodworking workbench and also for BOM report.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
bntarc

Post by bntarc »

Dear dprojects,
Thank you for adding Pocket.

I suggest to add:
-PartDesign Chamfer
-PartDesign Fillet

Thanks for your hard work.
Attachments
Congé2 .png
Congé2 .png (31.5 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
Chanfrein2.png
Chanfrein2.png (12.46 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

bntarc wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:13 am -PartDesign Chamfer
-PartDesign Fillet
I had problems with using fillets while I was making chair_002. I was trying to use the fillet but I got errors for multiple edges, maybe I selected too much at once. Probably I was doing something wrong. I also saw that fillet, if is successful, it creates new object, so finally leave it, to avoid getting dimensions problems.

I will look into that again and see what going on there and if this can be added or not. I don't want add FreeCAD commands that are not supported by getDimensions aka BOM tool to not confuse workbench user.

I don't know when I will look into that because currently I am going to look at Pads (Cutters) creation. This is more complicated than I was thinking. So need to rethinks approaches to make it simple.
bntarc wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:13 am Thanks for your hard work.
This is not hard work for me, I like coding generally and I like woodworking too. Coding was always more like hobby to me. I am here mostly for people like me that want to create simple furniture in real life and they are not able to afford highly paid software to make simple furniture for their private needs.

However, most of all paid software have too big hardware requirements for my slow laptop, so even if I would pay I wouldn't be able to run it under Ubuntu on my Asus X55U laptop ;-) While I was applying texture at merged_002 my laptop almost blow up ;-) so looks like it already has reached the limit of its abilities ;-) This is also the reason why I am here at FreeCAD, because it runs well on poor hardware and is not require powerful hardware to design simple furniture.

Also paid software not allow to generate so simple BOM report, those BOM reports for me are too detailed. So this is another reason for me to choose FreeCAD. Generally FreeCAD is great software.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

bntarc wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:13 am -PartDesign Chamfer
-PartDesign Fillet
They create new object with its own properties. They are not based on Sketch and constraints like it was in case of Pocket, so probably this should not be added to constraints report type. So what kind of info and report should be?

Also I think the thickness is interesting. This works with similar way. Maybe there should be another report type for this decoration? or if they work only on Pads so maybe the p - report type ?

EDIT:

I guess this type of information will be OK?

Code: Select all

21:46:25  ['Type', 'Location', 'Radius']
21:46:25  ['Fillet', 'Pad, Edge7', 10.0]

21:46:25  ['Type', 'Location', 'ChamferType', 'FlipDirection', 'Refine', 'Size 1', 'Size 2']
21:46:25  ['Chamfer', 'Pad001, Edge12', 'Equal distance', 'False', 'False', 10.0, 1.0]

21:46:25  ['Type', 'Location', 'Intersection', 'Join', 'Mode', 'Refine', 'Reversed', 'Value']
21:46:25  ['Thickness', 'Pad002, Face6', 'False', 'Intersection', 'Skin', 'False', 'False', 5.0]

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

branvan

Post by branvan »

Dear Darek,
let me sincerely thank you for your efforts - I'm so glad I stumbled upon your workbench in the search of an alternative to SketchUp.
How can we make that a standard workbench that is included in FreeCad?
Regards,
Bernhard
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

branvan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:00 pm Dear Darek,
let me sincerely thank you for your efforts - I'm so glad I stumbled upon your workbench in the search of an alternative to SketchUp.
How can we make that a standard workbench that is included in FreeCad?
Regards,
Bernhard
Thanks Bernhard and sorry for that delay in response.

All my publicly available code is licensed under MIT, so anyone can do anything with that under this terms. Dealing with FreeCAD dependencies is not what I want. For me FreeCAD should be rather 3D lightweight API, well documented, with a lot of emphasis on backward compatibility and features should be provided by the community. But FreeCAD politics is none of my business.

Regarding woodworking workbench I would like to show feature that in my opinion is pretty cool and might be very useful from user perspective. You can calculate occupied space by full furniture, and see how much space at your room will take opened front. Also you can see any selected elements.

What do you think about the new feature? it will be useful in woodworking?

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

zohozer wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:31 pm We need to create a library with fixture and panels parts that can be easily inserted.
I already added new fixture feature. To create this feature I use the great LinkGroup and Link FreeCAD features. With this new woodworking workbench feature panel2link you can replace many cubes at once with detailed object (usually Pad, or even more bigger objects packed with LinkGroup). This object can be anything created manually. So, I think this feature gives a lot of flexibility and is very powerful.

Also there is fixture library examples, there is only dowel, but it is good example to show the power of this new feature. Maybe, later I will add some screws examples. But for now anyone can create your own detailed parts.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

bntarc

Post by bntarc »

Dear Darex,
Thanks you very much for the Youtube channel, it' great !
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDaABD ... 0ng/videos

It would be great if the woodworking workbench could be installed from the Addon manager.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

bntarc wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:57 pm Dear Darex,
Thanks you very much for the Youtube channel, it' great !
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDaABD ... 0ng/videos

It would be great if the woodworking workbench could be installed from the Addon manager.
Thanks @bntarc, You are the only person on the forum who does not hide the existence of this workbench at all costs.
Now there is new feature at debuginfo for getting updates. You can check your installation there, if there are new updates, errors and certified. So, now I hope the getting updates will no longer be so annoying as before.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

dprojects wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:56 am Thanks @bntarc, You are the only person on the forum who does not hide the existence of this workbench at all costs.
Wrong. I am the other person.
What do you want to express here; was this workbench actively suppressed by someone?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.