How to fillet mirrored part

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MobiusStrip

Re: How to fillet mirrored part

Post by MobiusStrip »

Thanks. 'Validate sketch" and then the check for missing coincidences seems to be how you verify that the shape is closed.

Why must all neighboring arcs be tangent, instead of merely having their endpoints be coincident? And what does one do where an arc meets a straight line at a sharp angle (as two do on the flat side of this sketch)?

Here's tangency vs. coincidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUV_QZuNFHI
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

MobiusStrip wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:43 pm Thanks. 'Validate sketch" and then the check for missing coincidences seems to be how you verify that the shape is closed.
That's good after the fact. I tend to check before applying dimensional constraints. That's why I mentioned the "wiggle" method, with it you don't need to close the sketch...that and makes it easy to find non-coincident vertexes.
Why must all neighboring arcs be tangent, instead of merely having their endpoints be coincident? And what does one do where an arc meets a straight line at a sharp angle (as two do on the flat side of this sketch)?
Because, the fillet routine follows edges. It decides whether to continue onto the next segment by whether it is tangent or not. So, if you want it to automagically follow what you see as a continuous edge, then you must make it tangent.

As for your video. Box select the vertexes, not the lines.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
MobiusStrip

Post by MobiusStrip »

But the fillet can follow right-angle corners, and they're not tangent.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

MobiusStrip wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:20 pm But the fillet can follow right-angle corners, and they're not tangent.
Right, but the fillet routines just don't like "kinda tangent". It's just the way they are.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

MobiusStrip wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:20 pm But the fillet can follow right-angle corners, and they're not tangent.
But you need to select each side for the fillet.

We don't know in your model if you want a smooth continuation between lines or not.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

MobiusStrip wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:16 pm The message in the report window to check the report window is obviously useless.
That was recently fixed in the Master version. Will be included in the upcoming release of 0.21.

Gene
MobiusStrip

Post by MobiusStrip »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:29 pm That was recently fixed in the Master version. Will be included in the upcoming release of 0.21.
Good news! Thanks for the info.
MobiusStrip

Post by MobiusStrip »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:24 pm But you need to select each side for the fillet.
Hm, I don't know what this means. But I tried just making an arbitrary shape with sharp angles, some adjoining arcs, and not a tangent in the entire sketch. And it fillets without complaint.
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 1.37.52 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 1.37.52 PM.png (69.22 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Attachments
ring.FCStd
(378.16 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Please : new file -> new name.

You can fillet edges when there is no tangency (=hard corner) but you need to select each edge 'around' this corner.
When there is tangency, you select one edge and fillet will be propagated along all tangent edges.

Here, filleting the face will fillet all edges from this face. But in the 1st file, you will need to select each 'part' of the border (and not the face because one edge will be needed for the mirror). Usually, for 'smooth' corner, you want tangency. I don't know what is needed in your 1st file (as it is not fully constrained).
MobiusStrip

Post by MobiusStrip »

Thanks again for taking that time.

The new shape has no constraints either, though (except the auto-generated coincidence and a vertical one).

Regardless, it looks like there are some bugs at play here. Following your note about selecting individual faces, I tried that on the problematic piece; I selected the pad element in the model treeview, and then all the faces except the flat one along which I'll mirror, and pressed the fillet button. It worked.
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 3.23.30 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 3.23.30 PM.png (428.16 KiB) Viewed 779 times
I undid that and went back and just selected the pad and pressed the fillet button. Now it works without complaint. Just to be sure this was a change in the software's state and not the file, I reloaded the one I posted here and tried it. Same result: Now the fillet works on the pad.

However, selecting the faces causes both the top and bottom to be filleted. So I tried just selecting the curved edges on the top side. Filleting still fails with a recomputation error. And the edge-selection control in the fillet panel definitely does not seem to work right: https://youtu.be/J_S8jp4nhoM

And I still can't get filleting to work after the part is mirrored. If I fillet it as depicted in the screen shot above and then mirror it, of course I get the indentations in the edge along the plane of reflection.