"No frd result file found"; imported gmsh mesh

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

CopperGenie

"No frd result file found"; imported gmsh mesh

Post by CopperGenie »

Hi there!

I am having an issue running CCX for an imported gmesh UNV mesh. I followed this tutorial the best I could, adapting to the software changes.

Rough procedure:
1. Create FEM Analysis
2. Import mesh, drag it into Analysis
3. PartDesign Body -> Part simple copy (this is my part to be analyzed)
4. Use Part CrossSections and Part SliceToCompound on the part to create a new sliced-up part (more face segments) in preparation for constraints
5. Set material properties
6. Apply constraints
7. Write INP file
8. Solve

Then I get this warning: "A finite mesh without a link to a Shape was given. Happen on pure mesh objects. Not all methods do work without this link."
And this error: "FEM: No frd result file found at C:\[my path]\_0220116_structural_load_sensor_for_ISG_rev3Pad028.frd"

I've attached the file. Any ideas??

P.S. I have gotten identical results in 0.20 and 0.21.

';;,';.';,';,.';,.;,.;,'.'.,;.,'.,';.,';.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * A2plus 0.4.54b
  * Manipulator
Attachments
god help me.FCStd
(79.76 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: "No frd result file found"; imported gmsh mesh

Post by NewJoker »

You may have to change your workflow. You should create a complete part first, export it and mesh in Gmsh, import the mesh to FreeCAD and drag it to the Analysis container, then set the constraints and material for the analysis. Without adding more operations on the geometry after the mesh is imported.
CopperGenie

Post by CopperGenie »

NewJoker wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:54 pm You should create a complete part first, export it and mesh in Gmsh, import the mesh to FreeCAD and drag it to the Analysis container, then set the constraints and material for the analysis.
Does it matter what order I have the material, constraints, and mesh in my Analysis container?

I'm working to do it the way you suggested but the extra surfaces are making it difficult (mainly, I can't get Extrude to work for the new geometry in gmesh).
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

CopperGenie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:48 pm Does it matter what order I have the material, constraints, and mesh in my Analysis container?
This doesn't matter but it might be important how the geometry is positioned in the tree with respect to the Analysis container.
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

NewJoker wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:11 pm
CopperGenie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:48 pm Does it matter what order I have the material, constraints, and mesh in my Analysis container?
This doesn't matter but it might be important how the geometry is positioned in the tree with respect to the Analysis container.
Any details on what would be the actual the rules to keep?
Regards,

Oak
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

OakLD wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:02 pm Any details on what would be the actual the rules to keep?
Basically, the geometry should be above, not below the Analysis container in the tree.