Simple enclosure for ultrasound - Am i doing this right?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
M4x
Veteran

Re: Simple enclosure for ultrasound - Am i doing this right?

Post by M4x »

_cyclops_ wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:58 am
chrisb wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:31 am
_cyclops_ wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:05 pm I'm on FreeCAD 0.20.2
For your next topic: if you are asked to attach your full FreeCAD info, please just do it as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above.
[...] Would you however mind explaining why the /other/ information is important in this case? It would worry me if the other information made such a big difference to the question and answers.
Details like which commit is included in your version, which version of OCCT or some addon is used, which operation system you're on can be very relevant.

Probably not so much in this case. But the regulars around here are used to this standardized format. Since it's even easier to provide the full version information as to write down the version number manually, there's no need for the help seeking user not to provide the full version information. Since everybody around here invests here / his free time, it would show some respect and keep them from asking for the version information (possibly) a second time if it might be more relevant than in your case. Less questions = more time to answer stuff ;)
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

_cyclops_ wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:09 am The one part that was unclear to me is how you did the first pocket. It took me so long to figure out how it was attached to the xy-plane yet was making the pocket at the top first pad. In the end it's clear, but i'm not sure if it's all to clear for somebody opening the model and understanding it.
1 mm Z-offset of the sketch. (X and Y are like inside the sketch, Z is perpendicular to the sketch).
(click on the '...' at the far right of the Attachment Offset line to open the Attchment specific menu)
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2023-05-31 180036.jpg
Capture d’écran 2023-05-31 180036.jpg (73.02 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

_cyclops_ wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:09 am How, in the interest of learning - what's the opinion about this new model? I personally feel it's a lot better than the first mode, but i'm here to learn.
I also wonder if there's a "best practices" for drawing in freecad, because it feels like that would help a lot of beginners.
Really better.
* twice the same dimension in the same sketch ?
* Sketcher_External with solid edge = TNP (solid edges can change against your will)
* Sketcher_External with sketch line is better (sketch lines change at your will (but can also break your model if you modify the upstream sketch))
* RJ14HoleSketch sketch can be done with no offset but for a Pocket more long (see my file).

Who is shaley65 ? :lol:
_cyclops_

Post by _cyclops_ »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:19 pm
_cyclops_ wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:09 am How, in the interest of learning - what's the opinion about this new model? I personally feel it's a lot better than the first mode, but i'm here to learn.
I also wonder if there's a "best practices" for drawing in freecad, because it feels like that would help a lot of beginners.
Really better.
* twice the same dimension in the same sketch ?
* Sketcher_External with solid edge = TNP (solid edges can change against your will)
* Sketcher_External with sketch line is better (sketch lines change at your will (but can also break your model if you modify the upstream sketch))
* RJ14HoleSketch sketch can be done with no offset but for a Pocket more long (see my file).

Who is shaley65 ? :lol:
Ha, no clue why i auto-completed with shaley65!

About the twice same dimension: Not sure which one you mean, but i guess i am just not used to the equal constraint yet. I've started using it more. It's just about knowing all the options, i guess.

The sketcher_external was nice, but i did indeed forget that binding it to a edge is a problem. I think i've mixed that up a little bit i think. I'll see when it makes me bump into the TNP problem :)

Thanks for all the help man - it's really great having somebody make an example and spending time to explain it. Much appreciated.

I must add here, the UI really doesn't encourage the user to build like this... :(
_cyclops_

Post by _cyclops_ »

I've now also built the lid for the box. Together with the ShapeBinder this was now so much easier and it felt like a completely different experience than the first time around. Thanks for all the help!
Attachments
DistanceMeasureLearned.FCStd
(189.32 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Why is the Lid upside down ?

You should use PartDesign_Hole for the 2 last features (re-using Sketch009) : this tool can do the hole and a counterbore.
I must add here, the UI really doesn't encourage the user to build like this...
CAD programs are difficult to use, not just click and play.
_cyclops_

Post by _cyclops_ »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:29 am Why is the Lid upside down ?
Mainly because I didn't care and don't know how. I've just used transform to turn it around. Not sure if that's the right way to do it!

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:29 am You should use PartDesign_Hole for the 2 last features (re-using Sketch009) : this tool can do the hole and a counterbore.
Ah, will give that a try!
The PartDesign_Hole is a bit confusing to me because i'd expect to have to indicate a centre for it. I don't know yet how to place it properly. Will look into that.
Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:29 am
I must add here, the UI really doesn't encourage the user to build like this...
CAD programs are difficult to use, not just click and play.
I know, this is my attempt to give some feedback on FreeCAD :-)
Very simply put, the software itself could give some hints/tips on doing it the right way, inside the tool...
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

_cyclops_ wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:34 am The PartDesign_Hole is a bit confusing to me because i'd expect to have to indicate a centre for it. I don't know yet how to place it properly.
Any center of circle or arc from the sketch / face will be used for every Hole (you don't need a specific radius, it will be determined with the tool).
_cyclops_

Post by _cyclops_ »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:28 pm
_cyclops_ wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:34 am The PartDesign_Hole is a bit confusing to me because i'd expect to have to indicate a centre for it. I don't know yet how to place it properly.
Any center of circle or arc from the sketch / face will be used for every Hole (you don't need a specific radius, it will be determined with the tool).
Yes, after reading the wiki it's pretty clear.

So, given that you draw a circle anyway - why would you choose to use the PartDesign_Hole VS the PartDesign_Pocket? In some cases it just does exactly the same.. so why choose one over the other?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

So, given that you draw a circle anyway - why would you choose to use the Hole VS the Pocket? In some cases it just does exactly the same.. so why choose one over the other?
* Pocket : any form / Hole : only circular pocket
* Pocket : 1 or Dimension (Through all) / To first / Up to face
* Hole : independant of the radius in the sketch. All holes are the same.
* Hole : thread or not , counterbore / countersink / counterdrill

sometime, you can use either one.