PartDesgin Polar Pattern Limitation

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mateus.henriquec

PartDesgin Polar Pattern Limitation

Post by mateus.henriquec »

Hello there!

I'm working on a wind power generator (as you can see in the picture). I made a strip and used the Polar Pattern to surround the main cylinder with them. The problem is: It is not possible to have separate solids in the same body, which forces me to build and place all components related to the strip (screws, hinges etc) inside the same cylinder body. So I made another cylinder (located on top and bottom of the main one) to use as support.
I'm using Linear Pattern to place the second mentioned cylinder.
I'm using Linear Pattern to place the second mentioned cylinder.
cylinder1.png (157.9 KiB) Viewed 865 times
Achieve this, but with a separete body for the strips
Achieve this, but with a separete body for the strips
cylinder2.png (168.13 KiB) Viewed 865 times
Is there another way?
Thanks in advance!
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: PartDesgin Polar Pattern Limitation

Post by thomas-neemann »

mateus.henriquec wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:44 am
I'm also working on the theme wind power. but with kites at high altitude for base load power 365/24.

viewtopic.php?p=387752#p387752

if you upload your file somewhere i can shoot a video
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

The blades / stripes should be attached to the main (non supporting) cylinder, right? Make sure there is some overlap between the main cylinder and the blades /stripes (0.01 mm would be enough). This should lead to a single solid.

By the way, often it's very helpful to have your FreeCAD version information and an example file. You're welcome to have a look at the thread linked in the big red banner at the top of this page.
imm

Post by imm »

Something like this?
spiral-101.PNG
spiral-101.PNG (57.71 KiB) Viewed 658 times
spiral-101.FCStd
(212.55 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mateus.henriquec

M4x wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:09 am The blades / stripes should be attached to the main (non supporting) cylinder, right? Make sure there is some overlap between the main cylinder and the blades /stripes (0.01 mm would be enough). This should lead to a single solid.
That is one way of doing it. But what I really wanted was to be able to have the blade, the support and all the blade related components (that will be multiplied with them) each one in a separete body. And I could do that, the problem is: later on the project, when all the components are ready and just need being multplied and distributed around the main circle, the possibility of doing that with the Polar Pattern won't be available.

Now, if there was a way of telling FreeCAD that one body's support is another body, thus allowing me to successfully use Polar Pattern, my problem would be solved. Is there?
M4x wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:09 am By the way, often it's very helpful to have your FreeCAD version information and an example file. You're welcome to have a look at the thread linked in the big red banner at the top of this page.
I'll keep that in mind for the next time I need help! Thanks

I'm using FreeCAD 0.20.2 on Debian GNU/Linux 11
Last edited by mateus.henriquec on Mon May 29, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mateus.henriquec

imm wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:27 am Something like this?
This is vey similar to what I have, and doesn't solve my problem (Probably my fault for writing the question late at night, I wasn't very clear with my words).

The thing is, there will be several components that will be multiplied with the stripes(I'm calling them blades now :D ), and if they're built in separete bodys there wont be the possibility of using pollar pattern to do the multiplication later on.

Using Pollar Pattern in separete body would reeaaally make things easier for me, that's why I'm so invested in finding a way of using it.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

mateus.henriquec wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:25 pm
imm wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:27 am Something like this?
This is vey similar to what I have, and doesn't solve my problem (Probably my fault for writing the question late at night, I wasn't very clear with my words).

The thing is, there will be several components that will be multiplied with the stripes(I'm calling them blades now :D ), and if they're built in separete bodys there wont be the possibility of using pollar pattern to do the multiplication later on.

Using Pollar Pattern in separete body would reeaaally make things easier for me, that's why I'm so invested in finding a way of using it.
Yes, but a Draft path array to position components along the blades and a Draft polar pattern should get the job done.

No law that says you have use Part Design... 8-)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
mateus.henriquec

drmacro wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:32 pm Yes, but a Draft path array to position components along the blades and a Draft polar pattern should get the job done.
Sorry i didn't realise that before, forgot to mention I'm new to FreeCAD (and CADing in general). Does this method would allow me to have the blades separeted from the rings?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

mateus.henriquec wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:39 pm
drmacro wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:32 pm Yes, but a Draft path array to position components along the blades and a Draft polar pattern should get the job done.
Sorry i didn't realise that before, forgot to mention I'm new to FreeCAD (and CADing in general). Does this method would allow me to have the blades separeted from the rings?
Yes
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
mateus.henriquec

No law that says you have use Part Design... 8-)
It worked man, I used a sketch circle as path to do the Draft Polar Pattern on the blades. Thanks a lot :D