Multiple plane/directional pipe

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Deadlypeace

Multiple plane/directional pipe

Post by Deadlypeace »

Working on a roll cage for a scaled 3d print model of my rock crawler and was wonder if there's an easier way to create one of the bars for it. I have 3 PNG images of what the shape should be that are from a full scale model I did in AutoCAD. The pipe with the green line through is the one I'm questioning. I added a red line at all the bends on just the side view cuz there's one small one that might not be noticed.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (180.42 KiB) Viewed 375 times

I can create the piping using multiple planes and sketches, but was wondering if there might be simpler, quicker way to accomplish this.

FYI: This was created using FC Linkstage3, but doesn't seem to have any problems working in the FC 0.20.2 version. In the Rear 2nd Bar body it does come up with a error for pad033 which I expected cuz it's two separated parts in one sketch, but there's no link to the Main Cage body from it so it shouldn't have any affect on creating the new bar.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2023.131.26244 +5365 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: 73c4ca254c5de8849d104973482e98399fb24863
Python version: 3.8.10
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.6.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Roll Cage.FCStd
(440.84 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
jfc4120

Re: Multiple plane/directional pipe

Post by jfc4120 »

Have you considered Bend tech for this since you will have a lot of notching?

My custom bend program is just for tubing like hydraulic lines, fuel lines, etc, and just gives the bend data chart:
chart2.png
chart2.png (10.92 KiB) Viewed 347 times
But just a suggestion.

I normally work off of center lines and deal with one tube at a time. But all that notching I have never had to do.

I suggest also view some decent pipefitting videos on youtube and see how even a complex pipe run is dwelt with using center lines.