Handles for extrusion? Nice to have (in case)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
BartR

Handles for extrusion? Nice to have (in case)

Post by BartR »

Im' wondering whether or not there is a tool that adds handles for extrusion (like in Fusion 360 or SolidEdge).

In case not: it will be a nice-to-have feature.

Do you know if eventually it will be introduced at certain moment in time?
Veteran

Re: Handles for extrusion? Nice to have (in case)

Post by NewJoker »

Indeed, such a feature would be useful. Currently, the closest to that is just clicking in the Length field and using mouse scroll to change the value dynamically.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

NewJoker wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:20 pm Indeed, such a feature would be useful. Currently, the closest to that is just clicking in the Length field and using mouse scroll to change the value dynamically.
IMHO this is the most parametric way to do this sort of things "direct editing" is not very taylored to parametric design or exact values as you usually find when dealing with engineering things.

After an eyeballed "direct editing" in these context almost always you have to adjust the value to something more precise.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

onekk wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:17 pm
NewJoker wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:20 pm Indeed, such a feature would be useful. Currently, the closest to that is just clicking in the Length field and using mouse scroll to change the value dynamically.
IMHO this is the most parametric way to do this sort of things "direct editing" is not very taylored to parametric design or exact values as you usually find when dealing with engineering things.

After an eyeballed "direct editing" in these context almost always you have to adjust the value to something more precise.

Regards

Carlo D.
Agreed, "direct modelling" is not the FreeCAD paradigm.

I would note though, there is a "direct modelling" workbench: Design456
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
BartR

Post by BartR »

onekk wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:17 pm

Regards

Carlo D.
yeah but in many cases just first one approximates by jsu tdraggind and then refines.
Veteran

Post by onekk »

BartR wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:59 pm ...
yeah but in many cases just first one approximates by jsu tdraggind and then refines.
I agree with you, but a similar approach has been taken in the Drawing456 wb, that us not actively maintained, so probably not much people are interested in it.

You coukd rely on a workaround or entering an approximate value in the length fields, so there are methods to achieve a
similare result.

Here community will support even only with interest things (not much money given as donations by users, I think), so if an approach os not very popular sadly (as some are very interesting) is not developed, it is somewhat democratic even if sometimes not very future proof.

Regards.

Carlo D.
- Various other stuffs.

BartR

Post by BartR »

onekk wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:38 pm
BartR wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:59 pm ...
I agree with you, but a similar approach has been taken in the Drawing456 wb, that us not actively maintained, so probably not much people are interested in it.

You coukd rely on a workaround or entering an approximate value in the length fields, so there are methods to achieve a
similare result.

Here community will support even only with interest things (not much money given as donations by users, I think), so if an approach os not very popular sadly (as some are very interesting) is not developed, it is somewhat democratic even if sometimes not very future proof.

Regards.

Carlo D.
Right, however I just wondering whether or not this feature is under native development for the future.
Veteran

Post by onekk »

BartR wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:01 pm ...
Right, however I just wondering whether or not this feature is under native development for the future.
Please avoid to repost all the preceding messages.

I don't have an insight on how is the development path of FreeCAD.

But usually it concentrate on "most wanted" features and if some developer is interested in something it will make some code.

This is opensource, so if anyone is interested in a feature he could take the code and modify to suit his need, it is somewhat not a linear evolution but take it as is.

maybe something will change in future but actually it is as is.

Regards

Carlo D.
- Various other stuffs.

drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

BartR wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:01 pm ...

You can follow the usual routine. Submit a feature request. You may want to check for exiting requests.

That said, as @onekk notes, the clue might be in the adoption rate of Design456...
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

BartR wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:01 pm Right, however I just wondering whether or not this feature is under native development for the future.
Not currently being developed or planned AFAIK but there isn't really reason why we can't some day get around to this. Such a handle could snap to round values so it could be useful even for parametric modelling. Don't expect something like this any time soon though.