Part Design or PartDesign?

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

Part Design or PartDesign?

Post by david69 »

can we think about uniformizing the name of this workbench for the next version, 0.22?

we read the two versions in the wiki and in Crowdin/GUI.

I write in this forum on purpose and not on the wiki one because I think the source of this delta comes from coding. I am not saying the code must be changed (TBC) but if we agree on the word, that word become the reference in the code.

it's a detail but in term of translation, it can create confusion and for some new users too.

I suggest PartDesign with this case. automatic tools online will not translate it.

@Roy_043 @chennes @kaktus @FBXL5 @onesz @cehjan
what do you think?
kaktus
Veteran

Re: Part Design or PartDesign?

Post by kaktus »

Hi :mrgreen:

Certain issues as much as possible need to be systematized, and this is a very good approach.

From the user's point of view it seems better to me `Part Design` because we see the name and not a conglomeration of words.
In contrast, I know that programmers prefer `PartDesign` ...

heh

As David pointed out the occurrence of two versions of the same thing may suggest dissimilarity but one can guess that it is about the same thing.
A beginner user may be misled by this.

I cited two user and developer communities. I see that a third is emerging - translators.
In the respect discussed, David's arguments seem very factual and pertinent. :idea:
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

david69 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:11 am I suggest PartDesign with this case. automatic tools online will not translate it.
+1

From a german point of view I have no problem with this weird spelling. 8-)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

There are many thousands of places where spaces are omitted in the code compared to labels and messages shown to users.

Frankly, I would leave this long-standing spelling untouched.

Gene
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

on Crowdin, I am only finding 9 occurences of 'Part Design', if I don't make mistake. it would mean 9 translations if we move to PartDesign.
on the wiki, that's an other business but still manageable.
I am talking as translator.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

IMO Part Design makes more sense, in code we must use PartDesign but on the UI most places should display Part Design with the few exceptions where something related to code is displayed in the UI
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

"Part Design" uses common English words, but "PartDesign" makes it very clear that it is a proper name. There is no confusion possible with sentences where the very common words "Part" and "Design" happen to follow in a sentence (capitalization ignored). "PartDesign" is most commonly used in the forum and it helps clarifying things.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

chrisb wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:07 am "Part Design" uses common English words, but "PartDesign" makes it very clear that it is a proper name. There is no confusion possible with sentences where the very common words "Part" and "Design" happen to follow in a sentence (capitalization ignored). "PartDesign" is most commonly used in the forum and it helps clarifying things.
+1, that's my point.
for coding, do what ever you want.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

chrisb wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:07 am "PartDesign" is most commonly used in the forum and it helps clarifying things.
Yes and usually abbreviated in PD (short for Part Design WB) :D.

Probably in the wiki, or in the future "documentation system" it is worth to place somewhere in the "WorkBench description page" even some "common abbreviation" found in the forum, as probably when in trouble users will come "here" (in this forum and probably in the "help part" to ask for advices).

But is only an idea.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

chrisb wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:07 am "Part Design" uses common English words, but "PartDesign" makes it very clear that it is a proper name. There is no confusion possible with sentences where the very common words "Part" and "Design" happen to follow in a sentence (capitalization ignored). "PartDesign" is most commonly used in the forum and it helps clarifying things.
+1