Headers in Treeview could we remove them?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
obelisk79
Veteran

Re: Headers in Treeview could we remove them?

Post by obelisk79 »

chrisb wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:42 pm That's probably what it's all about: If the property is filled out, then because someone wants to show it.
Just for clarity, I don't think it "needs" to be removed given the current state of the tree-view, but changing it to a tool-tip style popup in my mind still seems like a better way to display such information.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

chrisb wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:42 pm
obelisk79 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:09 pm If the property is filled out, it will take up UI space,
That's probably what it's all about: If the property is filled out, then because someone wants to show it.
With all due respect, @chrisb, I think we're pole-vaulting over mouse poop.

Take the stupid thing out and if users complain (a lot) put it back in.
Better yet, take the time to understand why a user wants it and make an even better feature.

The way to have a more efficient user interface isn't to avoid making mistakes. It's to iterate faster!! Try stuff. Learn something and move on.
User interface shouldn't be about avoiding every possible criticism, it should be about trying out new ideas fast and throwing away the bad ones.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sliptonic wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:43 am With all due respect, @chrisb, I think we're pole-vaulting over mouse poop.

Take the stupid thing out and if users complain (a lot) put it back in.
You may be right with the mouse poop, and I will not insist on keeping it, because I used these fields only very few times myself. But I have seen some models here, where it was used extensively, and seeing it I thought "wow, that's a well documented project", of course accompanied by the less comfortable feeling that I should do more with my own projects.
(These models where not about the field discussed here and I see no chance to find them.)

So let's tackle it from the other side: We all know that well documented (bigger) projects are good projects. The questions arising are
1) Should additional information be held in the FreeCAD file?
2) If so, where should it be stored.

I have for myself a directory for each project, where I may have a README file with extended information, usually not per tree entry, but rather something like the math behind, printer settings, machine setups, where to by the wood, ...

Finally it may be interesting, that there was recently a discussion about adding information to individual sketcher constraints.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

sliptonic wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:15 pm Still, since Label2 is a hidden property and, it appears, hardly anyone is using it for descriptions
MisterMaker wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:39 pm Yes! Label2=description.
I often thought about the use of Label2 and description and I have never realised that the are connected. :o
I would have used it quite frequently if I only knew. I've had a look at the Tree view Wiki page and couldn't find description of this connection. :(

Instead of removing the Description column, I'd prefer to be able to edit Label2 directly in the Tree view, a menu entry "Description" under "Rename" at least. And a better visible documentation of the connection between Label2 and the Description column in the Wiki

Edit: Wiki is updated. Maybe @Roy_043 likes to fine-tune... ;)
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Not sure if fine-tuning is the correct term, but I have made an edit.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:09 pm Not sure if fine-tuning is the correct term, but I have made an edit.
Tell me your secrets!?
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:09 pm Not sure if fine-tuning is the correct term, but I have made an edit.
Thanks! To me it seemed like the general description would fit the Labels & Attributes section but I wasn't sure (or if it would be better placed in some other section).
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

FBXL5 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:29 am Instead of removing the Description column, I'd prefer to be able to edit Label2 directly in the Tree view, a menu entry "Description" under "Rename" at least. And a better visible documentation of the connection between Label2 and the Description column in the Wiki
you can edit the description in the tree view but it's not very intuitive, you have to click on that field then press F2
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:20 pm you can edit the description in the tree view but it's not very intuitive, you have to click on that field then press F2
That doesn't work on my MacBook :(
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Try using whatever is the normal shortcut for renaming something in macOS