[Proposal] rename 'construction geometry' (blue) to 'helper geometry'

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Proposal] rename 'construction geometry' (blue) to 'helper geometry'

Post by chrisb »

Palmstroem wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:09 am Seems to be a German-Thing. False Friend.
Other CAD systems seem to have been trapped by the same thing, but with "Hilfslinie" we will do better.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
PedjaS

Post by PedjaS »

In my native language industry standard is translated to English indeed called helper lines. So I also find it confusing as for us non native English speakers construction geometry sounds more like something that is actually part of the object not just helping while drawing.

So I would suggest simple solution. In popup explaining tool and in documentation just put both wording. Use "construction geometry" as main term and industry standard, but also mention "helping geometry". That would help a lot for us coming from other parts of the world and would not hurt anyone.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I would guess, no matter which term is used it might have a confusing translations.

Just look up automotive names that didn't translate well... 8-)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."