[Proposal] rename 'construction geometry' (blue) to 'helper geometry'

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: [Proposal] rename 'construction geometry' (blue) to 'helper geometry'

Post by NewJoker »

This name (construction geometry) is commonly used in commercial CAD software (example: https://help.solidworks.com/2023/englis ... ometry.htm). In fact, I haven't seen CAD software not using this name. Helper geometry would cause confusion among anyone with experience in other CAD applications.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

The term "construction line" is accepted terminology in drafting text books from the early 1900's. It describes lines used to create or act as scaffold for the geometry being described. They are typically, lighter/thinner than the edges of the part being drawn. In many cases, very light so as to be erased (just as they are not shown outside the sketch) when no longer needed to aid in the construction of said geometry.

This probably stems from the methods used to layout geometry (as in analytical geometry) far before drafting was a thing.

So, yeah, the term has some validation. ;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

The term "construction line" is accepted terminology.
I think it's bad form to use construction geometry because it implies there is a solid and a sketch is 2D. The blue lines aren't even a part of the solid that is being created so that's two strikes against the term. I would be all-in on changing the words to construction line.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

I'd prefer auxiliary line instead of helper line, but I'm fine with construction line as well. (line may be swapped for geometry, curve, etc.)

Permanent lines, visible outside edit mode, and construction lines, only visible while a sketch is under construction = in edit mode, makes perfect sense to me (now).

But translating construction line as Konstruktionslinie instead of Hilfslinie seems like a false friend to me and so I would say it is wrong.
The same applies to cosmetic lines in TechDraw: I have never heard of kosmetische Linien or Kosmetiklinien; they should always be translated as Hilfslinien as well.
mfro wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:21 am "Hilfslinien" would be translated plain wrong anyway when it might be arcs and circles (or anything) as well.
Lines/Linien are trouble makers as they imply to be linear, but lines/Linien can be straight/gerade od curved/gekrümmt. :roll:

In an older thread I was told line is usually used for the straight connection between two points, but some translated lines later I would say in most cases line was used for curves, arcs, etc.
And so Hilfslinie as a generic term for Hilfskurve, Hilfs-Spline, Hilfsbogen isn't wrong at all.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

freedman wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:49 pm I think it's bad form to use construction geometry because it implies there is a solid and a sketch is 2D. The blue lines aren't even a part of the solid that is being created so that's two strikes against the term. I would be all-in on changing the words to construction line.
why would geometry imply anything 3d? geometry is the term for the sketcher edges, line is one specific type of geometry but in sketcher many more are available.
FBXL5 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:17 pm I'd prefer auxiliary line instead of helper line, but I'm fine with construction line as well. (line may be swapped for geometry, curve, etc.)
auxiliary geometry could work
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

freedman wrote:
I think it's bad form to use construction geometry because it implies there is a solid and a sketch is 2D. The blue lines aren't even a part of the solid that is being created so that's two strikes against the term. I would be all-in on changing the words to construction line.

by adrianinsaval
why would geometry imply anything 3d? geometry is the term for the sketcher edges, line is one specific type of geometry but in sketcher many more are available.
When I use the word geometry in real life it would describe more than a line, it would be a form or shape of some kind. I would never call a line geometry. I know they do in Sketcher and in coding but I don't think it's the correct word usage for CAD or drafting folks. For instance; if someone handed you a door key and said draw the geometry of the key, how many lines would you draw?

It's really no big deal, this is my impression.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

freedman wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:41 pm When I use the word geometry in real life it would describe more than a line, it would be a form or shape of some kind.
I seem to recall an entire course of high school math that was called "Geometry".

Completely 2D. :o

Gene
Palmstroem

Post by Palmstroem »

Ok. Thank you. Seems to be a German-Thing. False Friend. So in German translations we should use the Term "Hilfslinie" for "construction line". So will I. Thanks again. I got it.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

GeneFC wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:45 pm I seem to recall an entire course of high school math that was called "Geometry".

Completely 2D. :o
+1 :lol:
And lines where definitely a part of it! Maybe it's a language thing?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:45 pm I seem to recall an entire course of high school math that was called "Geometry".
Atlthough this is extended at university to arbitrary dimensions, Sketcher remains 2D.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.