same macro, same version of freecad, but very different meshes between linux and windows.

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

theodoresyroco

Re: same macro, same version of freecad, but very different meshes between linux and windows.

Post by theodoresyroco »

on my ubuntu VM, I downloaded freecad 0.20.2 with the AppImage ( https://www.freecad.org/downloads.php ), and so I can't have access to the ''deep'' parameters (because I don't have access to the freecad sources hidden in the .AppImage file)
david69
Veteran

Re: same macro, same version of freecad, but very different meshes between linux and windows.

Post by david69 »

salut,

@theodoresyroco the red banner gives some clues and in particular how to collect/give info about your FreeCADs.
here is a link showing that for the two installations.
viewtopic.php?p=423310#p423310
theodoresyroco

Post by theodoresyroco »

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.2.29603 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.20.2)
Hash: 930dd9a76203a3260b1e6256c70c1c3cad8c5cb8
Python 3.10.8, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
The infos about the freecad I use in my ubuntu VM were in my first message. Sorry, I forgot to print it again.

always is, the problem remains there. But I see the problem more clearly now.
As I said, I have two installations of Freecad whose info is on the first message. The first installation is on Windows and the second one is on my linux VM ubuntu.

In order to locate precisely the problem I did the following test:
From my freecad on Linux I created a wing object, an analysis with a netgen mesh of which here is the configuration and the result (1st image : mesh of the wing in my Linux FreeCAD).
screenshot_LinuxFreeCAD_mesh.png
screenshot_LinuxFreeCAD_mesh.png (108.51 KiB) Viewed 539 times
I save the FCStd file and I open it on my FreeCAD Windows (2nd image : mesh of the wing after opening in my Windows FreeCAD the file from my Linux FreeCAD).
WingMeshFromLinuxInWindows.png
WingMeshFromLinuxInWindows.png (88.21 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Then I recompute the mesh without changing the parameters (3rd image : mesh of the wing after opening in my Windows FreeCAD the file from my Linux FreeCAD having recalculated the mesh without changing the parameters ).
WingMeshFromLinuxToWindowsRecomputed.png
WingMeshFromLinuxToWindowsRecomputed.png (65.85 KiB) Viewed 539 times
As you can see there are more than twenty times as many points in my mesh on my Freecad Linux which makes my calculations much too heavy. I would like to get the same mesh on my FreeCAD Linux as on my FreeCAD Windows. Is this message clearer? Do you have an idea to help me?
Thanks
Theodore
theodoresyroco

Post by theodoresyroco »

I realize that there was some information missing at the beginning and that my problem was not well defined. I hope that it is better now, if not I am always at your disposal for further information on the problem I am facing.