Updating old theme's

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

Updating old theme's

Post by MisterMaker »

I have some free time upcoming 2 weeks, and thought about updating the old theme files.
Started with Darker_blue
I'm not making exact copies because that would be a bit waste, I am also removing some un-used space as you can see about the amount of icons on screen. There are also a ton of small fixes like the grab handle in the corner, the black fold out icon on the toolbar icons, and checkboxes in the pull down menu's.
I am probably going to skip on ProDark and Behave dark as they do not fit the others and a bit of uniformity would be nice.
New version:
old version:
MisterMaker

Re: Updating old theme's

Post by MisterMaker »

I finished them all!
Now only bug fixing.
light
dark
darker
I would share them here but I have also added some new icons and making a package takes some time, so I am just going straight too a PR.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Some before and after shots and I added the code.
Darker theme looks to be done, need to do the same fixes to gray/dark and light.
Theme has now 2 colors in the top of the file instead of the 30 before, and you can replace them and make your own darker highlight theme.
You will get some warnings of missing icons. Although they are in my ExtremProDark addon/theme.

Attachments
Darker-blue_new.zip
(9.45 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't like the black backgrounds for a default theme, the contrast is too high (unless you also update the rest of the colors to something darker). Removing all the round corners seems like a downgrade in terms of looks, reducing the padding is appreciated though. The different color background on the toolbar buttons does not look good either IMO.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

You basics want it exactly like how it was. :lol:
The black is indeed for contrast, but it should be better readable because of that. Maybe i can break it a tiny bit.
The icons background is for disabled icons. Since graying an icon out on itself isn't sufficient for any one with a bit of colorblindness.
I can add a bit more roundness to check how it looks, although my 2 weeks of free time are running out and I might just keep it like it is. So I at least have it out. The theme is way more usable than the current ones, and we can always change some colors.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

MisterMaker wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:14 pm You basics want it exactly like how it was. :lol:
mostly yes actually ;) reducing the padding would be enough for me, maybe improve the contrast in some places but black background seems a bit too extreme given the rest of the grey tones, perhaps if it was all darker that would work but otherwise I think it's best to stick with just a darker tone of grey. Consider taking inspiration from other existing dark themes in other software, like gnome's adwaita or KDE's breeze.
Since graying an icon out on itself isn't sufficient for any one with a bit of colorblindness.
Is that even true? AFAIK color blind people don't actually see in b&w but rather some colors are too similar to some others, they should still be able to tell blue/red/green apart from grey. In your picture it looks like too much visual clutter to me.
@paddle may I ask for your opinion on that?
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:17 pm Is that even true? AFAIK color blind people don't actually see in b&w but rather some colors are too similar to some others, they should still be able to tell blue/red/green apart from grey. In your picture it looks like too much visual clutter to me.
@paddle may I ask for your opinion on that?
There are many types of colorblindness. The most common type is when one of the 3 colors is disabled (most frequently red).
A much much rarer type is when 2 colors are disabled and those person see indeed in black and white. But this is a super-rare case. There's probably not a single FreeCAD user with this.

For me as a most common type colorblind, graying the icon is totally fine. So I don't think this is necessary.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

But there are a lot of icons that have white and maybe a color, like the new icon or almost all sketch icons.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I think it's fine to offer a behavior like that as an accessibility feature but I wouldn't put that on by default. It looks very odd (I know of no software that does this) and ads a lot of visual clutter IMO.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I have to agree, the black backgrounds for the icons is not just unappealing, but visually distracting. A slightly darker shade of the tool bar background color to differentiate the buttons may be a reasonable alternative, but even that is a balancing act to get right in my opinion.