Image formats AVIF vs WEBP

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jimmihenry

Image formats AVIF vs WEBP

Post by jimmihenry »

Hello together,

A short while ago i stumbled over the WEBP format, it is quite nice it does animations, transparency and high compressed pictures...
Today i stumbled over the AVIF image format that does even a higher compression does animations, transparency all what WEBP does but on top of all it manages HDR. Supports lossless and lossy- compression. AIVF is developed by The Alliance for Open Media under the BSD license. Alliance for Open Media is founded by Amazon, Cisco, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Mozilla, Netflix.

One of the formats will prevail as i believe it mustn't be technical better one, as most would expect. AVIF specification was finalized in February 2019. That's like hot buns, so fresh!

Wiki has some info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVIF

Does anyone know more about the AVIF format? The AVIF LOGO looks really nice :D .
Attachments
Avif-logo-rgb.png
Avif-logo-rgb.png (27.46 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
grd

Re: Image formats AVIF vs WEBP

Post by grd »

One of the formats will prevail as i believe it mustn't be technical better one, as most would expect. AVIF specification was finalized in February 2019. That's like hot buns, so fresh!
Of course AVIF will be adopted, but why do people still get so enthusiastic about all these new file formats? Do you want to convert all your files with it?
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jimmihenry wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:43 am The AVIF LOGO looks really nice :D .
Yes, but as even the linked wikipedia page doesn't use the AVIF format, I guess that common browsers will not support it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

It would seem from the description that this new format is not really aimed at something so mundane as a discussion forum.

Do we need 12-bit color, film grain adjustment, and chroma subsampling? :lol:

Gene
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

grd wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:21 am Of course AVIF will be adopted, but why do people still get so enthusiastic about all these new file formats? Do you want to convert all your files with it?
...sure i won't, not all but some maybe. All the new stuff can benefit the new format. There is no daubt there are enormous benefits. At least we can put the new fancy CPU instructions to good use.
chrisb wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:32 am Yes, but as even the linked wikipedia page doesn't use the AVIF format, I guess that common browsers will not support it.
I am not a Wikipedia fan, however they did it right. Logos are stored as SVG, the right tool for the job.
You know what they say, good tools are half the work!

Chrome, Firefox do support AVIF for sure. As well as a lot of software like image viewers, image editors (Gimp) do support this format.
GeneFC wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:31 pm Do we need 12-bit color, film grain adjustment, and chroma subsampling? :lol:
Gene
Better to have, and not need it, than to need and don't have it! "Franz Kafka" :D

Mid 1990 a codec found it's place on a IC. They advertised a DIVX player as "the player that can play you downloaded movies from the internet" it was a hit!

Some formats last very long like JPEG, embedded in hardware they are not exchangeable. I would like to see free formats doing their jobs like the "FLAC" codec does for music! The more people will adopt the codec the better chances are to win over the competition. Software becomes a role in regards of freedom. There is much more to free software... That are my thoughts.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

jimmihenry wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:41 pm Better to have, and not need it, than to need and don't have it! "Franz Kafka" :D are my thoughts.
You totally ducked the issue.

This is a discussion forum. Why do we need high-performance graphics, at any time?

Gene
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

GeneFC wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:07 pm You totally ducked the issue.
This is a discussion forum. Why do we need high-performance graphics, at any time?
Gene
The hardware is capable pulling it of why shouldn't we take advantage. Having smaller file size and better image quality including animation is beneficial to the discussion forum. GIF was nice 20 years ago it dates back as far as 1987. Why would you chose GIF over AVIF or WEBP?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

GeneFC wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:07 pm This is a discussion forum. Why do we need high-performance graphics, at any time?
we have a 1mb limit for uploads, very limiting for animations
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jimmihenry wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:58 pm Why would you chose GIF over AVIF or WEBP?
Does the common browsers support AVIF? Otherwise it would be an extremely good reason to prefer GIF.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:58 pm Does the common browsers support AVIF? Otherwise it would be an extremely good reason to prefer GIF.
I could see the AVIF image using Firefox 102.10 Extended Support Release and Gimp did also manage this format, on a Win7 computer...
Doesn't matter what OS you are on if your OS or the program have the codecs installed i believe.

It is good to be aware what you can chose from to get the best that suits your needs.

An excerpt from Wiki below: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVIF

About Support

Software

Encoder: wavif, written by Cédric Louvrier, French developer who wrote the Pingo webp Image Optimizer, a multi format tool for optimized images. Closed source license but free to use for public projects. Version 0.17 released on 01 December 2022. The encoder is still at early stage and outputs big sizes such as 1:9 compression ratio. It has an only command line tool and uses the libaom wrapper at q 92 webp equivalent.[8][9]

Web browsers

In August 2020, Google Chrome version 85 was released with full AVIF support.[10] Google Chrome 89 for Android adds AVIF support.[11]
In October 2021, Mozilla Firefox 93 was released with default AVIF support.[12] It had planned to enable AVIF support by default in Firefox 86, but pulled the change a day before release.[13][14]
WebKit added AVIF support on 5 March 2021. Safari for iOS 16 has added the support for AVIF, iOS 16 was released on September 12, 2022.[15] macOS Ventura has added AVIF support and Safari on macOS Ventura has added AVIF support[16][17] macOS Ventura was released on October 24, 2022.[18] Safari 16.4 adds AVIF support on macOS Monterey and macOS Big Sur.[19]

Image viewers

XnView
gThumb
Eye of GNOME
Loupe
ImageMagick[20]
IrfanView (read only)[21]
Gwenview[22]
digiKam 7.7.0[23]
Apple Photos app on the iOS 16, iPadOS 16 and macOS 13.

Media player

VLC reads AVIF files starting with version 4, which is still in development[24]

Image editors

Paint.net added support for opening AVIF files in September 2019,[25] and the ability to save AVIF format images in an August 2020 update.[26]
The Colorist format conversion and Darktable RAW image data have each released support for and provide reference implementations of libavif.
Native AVIF import and export was added to GIMP in October 2020.[27]
Krita 5.0 released on 23 December 2021 added AVIF support. The support also includes Rec.2100 HDR AVIF images.[28][29]
Adobe Illustrator May 2022 release released on May 10 2022 added AVIF support.[30]
Pixelmator Pro 3.1 released on November 2, 2022 added initial AVIF support.[31]

Image libraries

libavif – portable library for encoding and decoding AVIF files.
libheif – ISO/IEC 23008-12:2017 HEIF and AVIF decoder and encoder.
SAIL – format-agnostic library with support of AVIF implemented on top of libavif.
FFmpeg

Operating systems

Windows – Microsoft announced support with the Windows 10 "19H1" preview release, including support in File Explorer, Paint and multiple APIs, together with sample images.
Android – Android 12, released on 4 October 2021, added native support for AVIF.[32] However, it did not change the default image format for the camera app.[citation needed]
Linux – AVIF is widely supported in Linux distributions. With the release of libavif 0.8.0 in July 2020, which added a GdkPixbuf plugin, AVIF support is present in most GNOME/GTK applications.[33] The KDE Frameworks added support for AVIF to the "KImageFormats" library in January 2021, enabling most KDE/Qt applications to support viewing and saving AVIF images.[34] Nomacs 3.16 adds support for AVIF viewing and conversion. Nomacs appimage is also for older Linux.
Apple Platforms – iOS 16, iPadOS 16, macOS Ventura have AVIF image support. You can directly store and view AVIF photos in the Photos and Files app, etc.

Websites

Cloudflare announced AVIF support in a blog post on 3 October 2020.[35]
Vimeo announced AVIF support in a blog post on 3 June 2021.[36]

Programming languages

PHP has AVIF support in its GD extension since PHP version 8.1.[37]

Others

ExifTool has supported AVIF format for reading and writing EXIF since version 11.79.