Development in python

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
samanthjain

Development in python

Post by samanthjain »

Hello, I am a beginner to open source and I would like to contribute to freecad but I am fluent only in Python. So what should I look for to contribute to freecad in python
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Development in python

Post by chrisb »

samanthjain wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:48 am Hello, I am a beginner to open source and I would like to contribute to freecad but I am fluent only in Python. So what should I look for to contribute to freecad in python
What is your interest? What are you modeling? If you use the result of your programming yourself, things are easier, because often there doesn't exist a precise analysis or specification of issues to be implemented.
There are some workbenches written in Pythin, such as Arch, Draft, Path.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bensay

Post by bensay »

Hi @samanthjain, one option is to create UnitTests for the workbenches and can help give a good introduction to how FreeCAD works internally. I know that TechDraw workbench needs a lot of UnitTests to be made.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Two other Python modules are the Addon Manager and OpenSCAD (both of which I am lead maintainer on). They are almost opposites: if you are interested in pure UI work, the Addon Manager doesn't do any CAD work at all, it's basically just a graphical frontend to git. If you are interested more in the CAD side of things, OpenSCAD has almost no UI to speak of, it's purely CAD. There are many things to be worked on in each, and I'd be happy to help you get started.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com