[GSoC2023] Upgrade the documentation system

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gauriimaheshwarii

[GSoC2023] Upgrade the documentation system

Post by gauriimaheshwarii »

Hello everyone!
I am Gauri Maheshwari, and I have been selected as a GSoC mentee for this summer to upgrade the FreeCAD documentation system.
The project involves a lot of community suggestions and feedback, as it directly changes the documentation system and determines how we access it.
A strong open-source community, first-hand user experience, and user feedback are all important for improving the software, so I look forward to working with all the community members and contributors and learning from them :)

The proposal for the project is attached, and every suggestion or change is welcome and highly appreciated.

GitHub issue for the project
Project proposal
Project page on GSoC website
yorik
Founder

Re: [GSoC2023] Upgrade the documentation system

Post by yorik »

Welcome on board Gauri!

Looking forward to working with you!

I think you have already a good idea of the issue, but here are a few additional starters:

- Have a good look at https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-documentation - if we go the markdown way, that will probably be your starting point
- Have a look at the help system inside FreeCAD, how it works with the markdown format. Whatever solution we use, it will need to work well with that system
- On the wiki, the contributors page here: https://wiki.freecad.org/Special:ContributionScores will give you an idea of who are the most active contributors of the current wiki. Not all these people have a github account and some are not used to work with git, markdown, etc. Basically we'll need to find a solution that works well for everybody.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Looking forward to this!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I am one of the Wiki contributors and will be following this project with special interest. If there are any questions related to the Wiki I will try to answer them.

If you have never worked with a Wiki before it may be useful to request Wiki editing/translating permission so that you can get first hand experience:
viewtopic.php?t=6830
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Other most active editors on our wiki are @mario52 , @david69, @Marco_T, @uwestoehr, @FBXL5, @kaktus (and of course Roy_043 and kkremitzki). Guys, it might be interesting for you to keep watching this space ;)

@gauriimaheshwarii don't hesitate to mention them whenever you need feedback from wiki editors.

This project is also a spacial interest for me. I'll keep around and try to help as well!
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

yorik wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:43 am Guys, it might be interesting for you to keep watching this space
I'm watching! :shock:
gauriimaheshwarii

yorik wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:43 am Other most active editors on our wiki are @mario52 , @david69, @Marco_T, @uwestoehr, @FBXL5, @kaktus (and of course Roy_043 and kkremitzki). Guys, it might be interesting for you to keep watching this space ;)

@gauriimaheshwarii don't hesitate to mention them whenever you need feedback from wiki editors.

This project is also a spacial interest for me. I'll keep around and try to help as well!
Will ask them for sure!

Adding my daily progress here for you all to keep track of the project.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

I'll give a look, sure.
welcome on board Gauri, have fun.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

I wish you no less perseverance than the people who translate the entire GUI and documentation on the Wiki by themselves.
;)
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
gauriimaheshwarii

I thought why not post regular updates of my work here only.

- May 21, 2023 -
  • Tried integrating Gollum in the copy of documentation repository.
    Faced challenges in setting up the wiki as on Windows, Gollum runs only on JRuby. Will try to run Gollum via Docker.
  • Set up a Wiki in the same repository as a sandbox project to allow the FreeCAD contributors to play around with the documentation and get familiar with the platform.
  • Made some progress on the website-like design for the wiki as discussed.