View: Shaded with Hard Edges

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jeno
Veteran

Re: View: Shaded with Hard Edges

Post by jeno »

saso wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:07 pm The confusion here comes IMO from the different interpretation and so by users understanding of what an "edge" is in so to say mesh modelers as blender or solid/brep modelers as freecad and then on top of that the additional confusion that actually also in solid modelers the geometry is actually rendered as a mesh and on top of that the shader smoothing (so, brep geometry -> mesh geometry -> shader)...
Agreed. In the end some more stages, but true.
saso wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:07 pm...But if we get back to the edges as represented by boundary lines in FC, if we would be able to use this coin functionality then the logic would be that boundary edges between two smooth shaded faces would be hidden and others (between two flat shaded or between a flat and smooth shaded faces) would be visible...
To be honest I'm horrible bad with this coding stuff. As mentioned in my first post the tricky part is:
When the mesh and the (edge) lines are done separately, then the edge line has no information about the normal values and the underlying mesh has no information about the position of the edge lines.
At the moment it isn't a problem because all edges are used and sorted out later (backside, hidden a.s.o.)
But I'm guessing...

cheers
grd

Post by grd »

Make the FR?
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

grd wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:04 pmMake the FR?
Above you said you would make apull request. Was this a void promise?
grd wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:53 pmI am not OP but I would make a PR.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
grd

Post by grd »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:49 pm
Come on.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

grd wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:52 pm Come on.
I don't understand.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Most likely meant to say feature request, even if he did actually meant PR we are not their boss, it's not our place to be reprimanding for not working for free...
grd wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:52 pm Come on.
this is a very useless response, no clarification at all... your are not talking of obvious things here and we are not mind readers
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:58 am Most likely meant to say feature request,
Now it makes sense!
I remembered grd saying he was a programmer himself, so I thought he had something in his pipeline.
grd

Post by grd »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:53 am Now it makes sense!
It does?
I remembered grd saying he was a programmer himself, so I thought he had something in his pipeline.
No, I was not a programmer. I am a retired mechanical engineer and in my free time I programmed quite a lot in Go, but you are quite aware that I dislike C++.

That said, I have two questions:

1. Does it make sense to create this FR since no solution has yet been found.

2. Why can't I create a FR? I remember quite well that in the past I could create a FR, now it seems that option has been removed but when I look in the issue list there are quite a lot of feature requests. I know how to get rid of all the data inside an issue but I don't think that is what you want.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I am not aware of any restrictions concerning feature requests.
grd

Post by grd »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:42 am I am not aware of any restrictions concerning feature requests.
I don't see the option to create one, but do you still think that it makes sense to create an issue?