text editor for g-code files ?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jbraun

text editor for g-code files ?

Post by jbraun »

I tried a search but terms were 'too common'
When posting in Path a very basic editor pops up. Has there been discussion of a more feature rich editor ?
Like Mastercam with CIMCO Edit (for those familiar). Just the text editing part of CIMCO Edit, not the simulation and communications.
The g-code plug-ins available for the common editors are underwhelming. Please don't suggest Visual Studio or some other bloat :)
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: text editor for g-code files ?

Post by sliptonic »

No specific discussion. Developing a custom editor here is sort of contrary to the linux / FOSS philosophy. We should find a good editor and integrate it or provide an integration mechanism rather than reinventing the wheel.
CoderMusashi

Post by CoderMusashi »

Check out this post. viewtopic.php?t=77748 . It is the most recent discussion on such things. I am in agreement with Sliptonic no need to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Freecad is like Cimco edit as far as the backplot feature goes. You can see the toolpath in your freecad window I think the default line color is green. Unlike cimco you can't go line by line in a text editor and see where you are but you can follow the path in the Freecad window and see the code in the lower left corner. See red circles in the attached picture.
pathexample.png
pathexample.png (114.97 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

CoderMusashi wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:15 am Unlike cimco you can't go line by line in a text editor and see where you are but you can follow the path in the Freecad window and see the code in the lower left corner.
Yes you can: Use Path Inspect and select the lines you are interested in.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
CoderMusashi

Post by CoderMusashi »

When I open inspect I can see the Gcode but the inspect window is not movable. I see now that if I highlight code the PATH lines go from green to a yellowish orange. Thanks for making me take a second look at that Chrisb I have mispoken.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

CoderMusashi wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:04 pm the inspect window is not movable.
That surprises me, I can move it here on macOS. What I would like to see ist the possibility to rotate and zoom 3D view while inspect is open.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

jbraun wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:35 pm Like Mastercam with CIMCO Edit (for those familiar). Just the text editing part of CIMCO Edit, not the simulation and communications.
I had in mind CIMCO Edit standard version, not the backplot/simulation bells-and-whistles version.
like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc2JFSUKNdU
Possibly an editor partner program something like is now possible with Camotics. Unfortunately g-code language ends at syntax colour highlighting judging by my search of open source editors.
I have old ways and there may be little interest in strictly text editing. When editing needs backplot I use bCNC.
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
jescombe

Post by jescombe »

chrisb wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:20 pm
CoderMusashi wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:04 pm the inspect window is not movable.
That surprises me, I can move it here on macOS. What I would like to see ist the possibility to rotate and zoom 3D view while inspect is open.

Possibly using Linux/Gnome? I think the current default is that modal dialogs can not be moved..

If so, can be turned off in the GNOME Tweaks tool here;
gnome_dialog.png
gnome_dialog.png (63.56 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

notepad++ with g-code and compare plug-ins. Unfortunately not cross-platform. I haven't found a simpler editor that does both.
np++_rs.png
np++_rs.png (154.78 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I still use good old Emacs (with which to my knowledge the idea of open source began) it is cross platform, available for Linux, Windows, macOS, Raspberry Pi, ... Here is a screenshot from the diff function
Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-06 um 06.48.32.png
Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-06 um 06.48.32.png (126 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
I remember that I have added some lisp functions for moving regions of gcode, doing spirals, and doing interpolations to get finer surfaces, when there was no 3D pocket nor 3Dsurface available in FreeCAD.
If someone is interested, I can dig my archives to find it.