0.21 splashscreen contest: deadline 31 May 2023

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: 0.21 splashscreen contest: deadline 31 May 2023

Post by adrianinsaval »

I think using a render is misleading, rendering is not FreeCAD's main goal and the 3d view obviously doesn't look like that
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:51 pm I think using a render is misleading, rendering is not FreeCAD's main goal and the 3d view obviously doesn't look like that
Don't agree! @howetuft has been working steadily on his render workbench and all the good stuff is in there and that is awesome.
Solidworks also uses renders in the splash-screen. We have it, it is free. It uses Cycles or other free render modules but that isn't any difference than fem uses calculation software.
So here it is using
Evolventa font
Render true Render workbench using Cycles standalone
Model made in Freecad by @kwahoo
2D work done in Paint.net
splashscreen50p.png
splashscreen50p.png (943.99 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
Freecad screenshot:
Edit- fixed date
Last edited by MisterMaker on Tue May 30, 2023 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

viewtopic.php?style=4&p=685077#p685077

woooowww is impressive :o :shock: :mrgreen:
A whole new look at the splash screen :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

edit:

may consider which model view to add the one from the current splash screen or the one presented below ....
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
pathfinder

Post by pathfinder »

Maybe some kind of compromise?

A fade from one to the other:

I'm not familiar with FCs render WB, so I did a quick and dirty render in Blender and had a hard time positioning the model correctly, so there's a lot of distortion.
I would also think about using a cutout of the model (like the top middle part), rather than the whole, because it is a very busy model that can be hard to read on a smaller scale/monitor.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

@pathfinder The deadline is tomorrow didn't had a lot of time in screwing around with the camera :lol:, Spend most of my time screwing with materials....
The fade is cool btw might give that a go, but said deadline too close. :D
Last edited by MisterMaker on Tue May 30, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

This is a near perfect solution if we add a fresh look of the splash screen from MisterMaker's post comes out a real masterpiece worthy of a new release
and reflecting the transformations that will take place in it
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

I now have a real problem is so far my type was the project of colleague nelsonstoldt:
viewtopic.php?style=4&p=684418#p684418 where we also see a new look at the splash screen. :idea: :idea: :idea:
But MisterMaker's popposition took my breath away.
Please create a poll with some votes. Otherwise I will have a guilty conscience and will not be able to sleep at night. :mrgreen:
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

It would be cool to have a normal/render/FEM fade
pathfinder

Post by pathfinder »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:05 pm It would be cool to have a normal/render/FEM fade
Indeed. I'm swamped with work and haven't used either FC render or FEM, so I can't really contribute before the deadline.

Maybe it's something to consider for the next release, though.
nelsonstoldt

Post by nelsonstoldt »

MisterMaker wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:39 pm
adrianinsaval wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:51 pm I think using a render is misleading, rendering is not FreeCAD's main goal and the 3d view obviously doesn't look like that
Don't agree! @howetuft has been working steadily on his render workbench and all the good stuff is in there and that is awesome.
Solidworks also uses renders in the splash-screen. We have it, it is free. It uses Cycles or other free render modules but that isn't any difference than fem uses calculation software.
First of all MisterMaker, the splash screen image you created is great, full stop.

Unfortunately, I have come to agree with adrianinsaval in that including a rendered image in the splash screen is misleading.

I understand the value of a good render, and I like to create renders of my FreeCAD models for myself and to show off to others. I use Blender to create them. Mostly I use Blender because I like that I can get very high-quality images very quickly using the Cycles engine. Sometimes I will ray-trace them but usually the time penalty is just not worth it. When I saw that the render workbench could create renders using Blender's Cycles engine, I was very excited. This would be a very nice way to create renders. Should be simple right... Nope, in order to use Cycles with the render workbench you need the Standalone version of the Cycles engine. To get the standalone version of cycles you need to compile it from the source code, as Blender doesn't include it with their installation.

When I was first looking for a way to create high-quality renders from my FreeCAD models I clicked on several YouTube FreeCAD tutorials that had nice looking rendered images as their "Click Bait" images hoping that they would show how they created those nice-looking renders. Disappointment soon ensued as those tutorials were shockingly, on how to use FreeCAD, and FreeCAD does not do renders. Adding a render to the splash screen for FreeCAD will just setup new users for disappointment instead of showcasing what a powerful CAD package that FreeCAD is.

Now if the nice people over at Blender would provide a version of the Standalone Cycles Engine that could be included with the render workbench in a FreeCAD installation, that would be fabulous.