0.21 splashscreen contest: deadline 31 May 2023

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

0.21 splashscreen contest: deadline 31 May 2023

Post by chennes »

We need a new splashscreen image for the 0.21 release!

Here are the parameters:
  • The image must be provided in two sizes: 400x245 pixels and a double-resolution 800x490px for HiDPI displays.
  • Transparency is permitted but should be used sparingly, and the image should still look good if the transparent areas render as black.
  • It should illustrate some of the capabilities of FreeCAD, must not use any proprietary or copyrighted materials (models, etc), and if possible be made only with FreeCAD.
If your image has transparent areas (for ex. non-rectangular), another version might be needed for the "About" dialog, where non-rectangular images might not look so good. The words "FreeCAD" and "0.21" will be added by the software so should not be included in the image (though someplace for them to go should be allowed for). Also keep in mind that the bottom of the image displays the messages from the startup process.

You can see a historical overview of FreeCAD's splashscreens on the wiki. Submit your designs here, and we will hold a public vote some time after the feature freeze.

UPDATE 25 MAY:
Thanks everyone for your submissions so far! We have about a week left in the contest: the submission window closes at midnight UTC at the end of the day on Wednesday, May 31. After that it will take me a day or two to compile the valid submissions and set up a voting topic, which will then run for one week. A couple of notes:

First, please do not include any proprietary items that you don't have the IP rights to in your model -- even if you made the model, we don't want a C&D from the company that made the product because we implied it was designed in FreeCAD. Trademark law is a tricky subject and we'd do well to avoid it entirely.

Second, only full submissions will be considered, so if folks want a 0.19-style multi-model display, someone is going to have to actually create a submission that compiles the "tiles" into a single entry. That someone is not me :D .

Third, to be considered a "full submission" you have to include both required sizes, without the text "FreeCAD" or "0.21" -- you may, however, include a third image that is a mockup of what it will look like with the actual text in place. That mockup will be what is presented for voting. If you don't have a mockup, I'll insert the text for you for voting purposes.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: 0.21 splashscreen contest

Post by Shalmeneser »

last contest :
0.20 splash screen contest : viewtopic.php?t=66492
0.20 Splash Screen - FINAL VOTE : viewtopic.php?t=67362

btw, I love the current splashscreen : subject, form, color.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

can also be good to refresh some pics on the main page https://www.freecad.org/index.php
ThanklessLiving

Post by ThanklessLiving »

Is the color scheme intentional? All the splash screens look the same dating back what like 10 years? With their whitish grey, red and blue
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

ThanklessLiving wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:16 pm Is the color scheme intentional? All the splash screens look the same dating back what like 10 years? With their whitish grey, red and blue
Is that a problem? It is clear that the primary colors for FreeCAD publicity are red and blue. Why would anyone want to change what has become a trademark of sorts?

Gene
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

ThanklessLiving wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:16 pm Is the color scheme intentional?
It's not formally required, if that's what you mean. I presume the individual designers of those splashscreens chose to use FreeCAD's main logo colors intentionally, and that voters appreciated that choice.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
ThanklessLiving

Post by ThanklessLiving »

chennes wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:25 am It's not formally required, if that's what you mean. I presume the individual designers of those splashscreens chose to use FreeCAD's main logo colors intentionally, and that voters appreciated that choice.
GeneFC wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:25 am Is that a problem? It is clear that the primary colors for FreeCAD publicity are red and blue. Why would anyone want to change what has become a trademark of sorts?
Just an observation. I guess it's fine, and matching the logo colors makes sense.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Feel free to propose anything else regarding colors. But I think it's thrilling to try to "build" some identity here and have the splash screen participate to it.

Going to try something here too ;)
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

@bitacovir, @obelisk79, @OficineRobotica just making sure you saw this is open now.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

chennes wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:55 am @bitacovir, @obelisk79, @OficineRobotica just making sure you saw this is open now.
I have, just haven't had a chance to sit down and work out a submission yet. :D