FreeCad 0.21.0 32985 - one of the body shifts during fuse boolean operation

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kcleung

FreeCad 0.21.0 32985 - one of the body shifts during fuse boolean operation

Post by kcleung »

I am using the FreeCAD 0.21.0 weekly snapshot 32985 on Windows 10 without installing any extra addons.

When I try to do the following fuse operation:

* doubleclick Body001 to activate it
* click Body000 to also select it
* click the "boolean" button in the top menu
* At this point Body001 shifted, possibly as a result of ignoring the placement coordinate I set it earlier
* Then I selected the function "fuse"
* Both bodies fused, but with the original Body001 shifted

I attach a copy of my file.

However this can be fixed by editing offset of the original body after the fusion.

So is this a bug?
Attachments
fuse.FCStd
(34.96 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCad 0.21.0 32985 - one of the body shifts during fuse boolean operation

Post by chrisb »

kcleung wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:41 pm So is this a bug?
No bug. The fused body is shifted to the relative origin of Body001. This conforms to the behaviour of e.g. the primitives and sketches inside of a body.

Besides, you should consider to model this in a single body, that is far more common and thus easier to understand. If you prefer the CSG approach, you may consider the Part workbench for your modeling.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

chrisb wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:28 pm
kcleung wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:41 pm So is this a bug?
No bug. The fused body is shifted to the relative origin of Body001. This conforms to the behaviour of e.g. the primitives and sketches inside of a body.

Besides, you should consider to model this in a single body, that is far more common and thus easier to understand. If you prefer the CSG approach, you may consider the Part workbench for your modeling.
Thanks heaps!

But how would you model this in a single body without using CSG?

Also, is CSG support within the PartDesign workbench a recently-added feature?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kcleung wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:05 am Also, is CSG support within the PartDesign workbench a recently-added feature?
Only if you consider 5 years as recent. I will look into the non CSG approach later.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kcleung wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:05 am But how would you model this in a single body without using CSG?
I was mistaken here: Fillet001would be difficult to add to a single body. Rearranging the features would make the thickness impossible