Stepover on Profile Op?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ModuloFS

Re: Stepover on Profile Op?

Post by ModuloFS »

Hello @Russ4262,

i just tried your dressup macro with the current stable version of FreeCAD but i get the following error:

13:01:28 Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/FreeCAD/Macro/multiprofile.FCMacro", line 26, in <module>
import multiprofile.MultiProfileGui as MPG
File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\Lib\site-packages\shiboken2\files.dir\shibokensupport\__feature__.py", line 142, in _import
return original_import(name, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Macro\multiprofile\MultiProfileGui.py", line 30, in <module>
import multiprofile.MultiProfile as DressupMultiProfile
File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\Lib\site-packages\shiboken2\files.dir\shibokensupport\__feature__.py", line 142, in _import
File "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Macro\multiprofile\MultiProfile.py", line 27, in <module>
import Path.Base.Util as PathUtil
<class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>: No module named 'Path.Base'; 'Path' is not a package

I select the profile operation i want to run the macro on it and then i get the error mentioned above.
Is it only working with development weekly build version of FreeCAD?

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.2.29177 +426 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached from 0.20.2)
Hash: 930dd9a76203a3260b1e6256c70c1c3cad8c5cb8
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Installed mods: 
  * A2plus 0.4.60k
  * Curves 0.6.8
  * fasteners 0.4.55
  * FeedsAndSpeeds 0.5.0
  * ProDarkThemePreferencePack 1.0.0
  * QuickMeasure 2022.10.28
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

ModuloFS wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:12 am
Version: 0.20.2.29177 +426 (Git)
See viewtopic.php?t=71610

Any current fixes are unlikely to work correctly with version 0.20.

Gene
ModuloFS

Post by ModuloFS »

Thank you @GeneFC, downloaded and tried the weekly build and it seems to work.

Nevertheless it would be pretty nice if this feature (or the pull request https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/6680) is officially supported in the future, for example to make bigger slotting operations with a downcut bit. So you do not have to hassle with the chips in the tight slot.
Paula

Post by Paula »

ModuloFS wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:31 pm Thank you @GeneFC, downloaded and tried the weekly build and it seems to work.

Nevertheless it would be pretty nice if this feature (or the pull request https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/6680) is officially supported in the future, for example to make bigger slotting operations with a downcut bit. So you do not have to hassle with the chips in the tight slot.
I'm sure I'm missing something here but is there any reason not to use an Adaptive Profiling operation for this? I've successfully used Adaptive Profiling when machining Aluminium, which is very susceptible to chip re-cutting. The only "gotcha" is that you can't use the Tabs dress-up with Adaptive Profiling (many commercial CAD/CAM systems also seem to have this limitation. The work-around is utterly trivial: simply use an Adaptive profiling op to machine most of the way down then finish off to full depth with a normal Profiling op to which you apply a Tabs dress-up.
ModuloFS

Post by ModuloFS »

I have not found an option in the adaptive profiling operation to specify the slot-thickness of the profiling around my profile i want to mill. I am just able to select profiling then the thickness is fixed or clearing, then i clear till the endges of my stock material. Additional to this an lead in and lead out dressup is not possible anymore. This dressup is more important to me as the holding tag dressup because with a lead in and lead out at each layer i do not see any marks of the cutter which is changing its height at the same position and therefore stayes long at the same point.
xemul

Post by xemul »

ModuloFS wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:36 pm I have not found an option in the adaptive profiling operation to specify the slot-thickness of the profiling around my profile i want to mill.
Slot width = OpToolDiameter + HelixDiameterLimit. As says in tootip for HelixDiameterLimit: "Limit helix entry diameter, if limit larger than tool diameter or 0, tool diameter is used".
Additional to this an lead in and lead out dressup is not possible anymore.
I have never need in special lead in/out with adaptive op's. And LiftDistance > 0 might be set for backward rapid moves.
Dimitrios2

Post by Dimitrios2 »

sliptonic wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:59 pm I implemented part of this for 'kerf widening' some time ago. Doing the extra passes is easy. The problem is that it doesn't work with holding tags. That's why the PR is is still sitting in draft.
I was thinking about this recently. I can't see any case that we may need both at the same time, tags and multiple steps.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Dimitrios2 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:36 am
sliptonic wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:59 pm I implemented part of this for 'kerf widening' some time ago. Doing the extra passes is easy. The problem is that it doesn't work with holding tags. That's why the PR is is still sitting in draft.
I was thinking about this recently. I can't see any case that we may need both at the same time, tags and multiple steps.
Extremely common use case.
Cutting out a part from deep stock and it takes multiple passes. You're widening the kerf to allow clearing the chips. Of course, you still want holding tags.
ModuloFS

Post by ModuloFS »

Would be also ok for me if the wided kerf happens only during the holding-tag height and then make one single pass with holding tags to cut the part free. So at worst case i have to create two operations. But this is even better than now where i have to create two or more oprations during every height if i want to have the same result (without using the dressup from @Russ4262 ). So either the dressup or a direct implementation of the kerf widening would be very helpfull for me.
Dimitrios2

Post by Dimitrios2 »

The G-Code of the MultiProfile op is missing from the final file! I've placed the Marco at the .local/share folder on my system but, I'm using an Appimage instead of my systems installation of freecad. The macro is working, I can simulate the op. The only problem is that the G-Code of any MultiProfile is empty.

Code: Select all

OS: Fedora Linux 37 (Workstation Edition) (GNOME/gnome-xorg)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.33071 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 703ba9b3cf6f673e6870aa8b7e1badbdeb6c9cd2
Python 3.11.3, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.2.2, OCC 7.7.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * FeedsAndSpeeds 0.5.0
Attachments
TestMulti.FCStd
(25.75 KiB) Downloaded 31 times