(solved) Bug in fillet or chamfer all function (0.21 master)

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Bug in fillet or chamfer all function (0.21 master)

Post by adrianinsaval »

The list is filled as convenience function I think, say you want to fillet all but one edge, instead selecting one by one you select all edges then deselect the one you don't want.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

Some kind of filter driven fillet sounds like a nice feature. Could for example be to specify a direction and a deviation angle and all edges pointing within this spherical sector gets a fillet. And it's then updated according to the filter rules when base feature is changed.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:07 pm I see your use case, but unlike you I don't agree that the current behaviour is inconsistent or a bug.
How this is not inconsistent? The automatic input (checikng the box) matches only in special cases (same edges before and after a change of the Body) the output (uncheck the box) and pretty always fails to compute or get valid results.

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:21 pm The list is filled as convenience function
How can the list be convenient when it fails everytime except the special cases (same edges before and after a change of the Body)? You have to recompute it everytime 2 times with knowledge, it fails every 2 times. I do not mean to make only one edge sharp, i mean when you want to edit the fillet in general. WHEN the list matches the actual fillet list, the 2 times recomputing is obsolete, when you want to edit it (e. g. change to fillet all to let us say to 3 edges). The only second valid solution is no list at all when the checkbox is checked.

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

matches only in special cases
no special cases, just one single case: at the moment of clicking the checkbox. I tend to agree that it would be better if the list was updated though.
How can the list be convenient
It is convenient at the moment of creation of the fillet. Nothing more, nothing less.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:31 pm It is convenient at the moment of creation of the fillet. Nothing more, nothing less.

And in what way? It is grayed out and not editable, you even can not scroll the list.

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

launch fillet command -> check all edges, list is populated with all edges but is not editable -> uncheck all edges, populated list is now editable again -> deselect undesired edge(s) -> click ok
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:01 pm launch fillet command -> check all edges, list is populated with all edges but is not editable -> uncheck all edges, populated list is now editable again -> deselect undesired edge(s) -> click ok
That is a workaround to mark all edges with a exception, but that is not the intended usecase to mark all.

Anyway, i compiled the today master on this machine where i am and now it works likes it should be.

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

It think I got confused, I looked again at the PR that introduced this: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5340
the convenience function is a context menu entry to mark all edges on the list, the list is populated when marking use all edges for compatibility with older versions of freecad where it would not know anything about the use all edges property, if that case it should indeed get updated when the number of edges changes, can you confirm that it is updating in current master and if not please create a github issue?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:51 pm can you confirm that it is updating in current master and if not please create a github issue?
The behavior is now:

- go to the fillet function dialog
- mark any edges for the list
- check the checkbox Use All Edges --> only the former marked edges are in the list, but greyed out
- change the geometry before the fillet
- go in the fillet task dialog of the made fillet before --> list is the same but grayed out
- uncheck the Use All Edges --> only in the list edges are filleted

Works as expected now! Same with chamfer.

Code: Select all

OS: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) (X-Cinnamon/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.33049 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 691917804fd537155befc1c627bbfa8484ff513b
Python 3.9.2, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.0.1, OCC 7.7.1
Locale: C/Default (C) [ OS: English/United States (en_US) ]
Installed mods: 
  * Curves 0.6.8
  * CurvedShapes 1.0.4
  * Assembly4 0.50.1
  * QuickMeasure 2022.10.28

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

user1234 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:52 pm Works as expected now! Same with chamfer.
I'm confused, that looks like the same behavior that you reported in the OP, and I now do agree that the list should have been updated to have all edges when the base feature was modified, since the objective is to have compatibility with older versions of freecad (this is of course low priority, but still nice to have)