Shipped Modules with FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Shipped Modules with FreeCAD

Post by adrianinsaval »

Zolko wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:49 pm On the other hand, if we follow this logic, any Python workbench can – technically – be provided as an addon. So the question becomes: what potential "externalable" should FreeCAD provide in "core" ? For example, OpenScad : the question is not whether is "good", but rather "what's the best way to provide the functionality for those people that need it, without encumbering those that don't" ?
2mb is encumbering?

Let's not forget the maintenance implications of having something in the core or as an addon, openscad wb gets enough attention from devs now that it is in the core repo, how much attention will it get if it's an external addon? The wb itself may not be very popular, I have used it very seldom myself, but despite how little it's used it's still an important WB because it allows using openscad files. I don't think it's worth risking getting the wb abandoned to save 2mb on a 1Gb download (0.2%)
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Zolko wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:09 am
easyw-fc wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:38 am why removing something useful and well known just to resize of 0.1%...
because it's not useful for everybody. What I use all the time are the fasteners from the fasteners workbench, which I suspect are used by much more people than the openscad things, and yet it's an external WB. And there is no problem with that, it's the very purpose of a modular design.

OPENSCAD has a lot of useful python functions in:
If that's your opinion, nothing would prevent you from installing it as an external addon.

What you're basically saying is that bloatware doesn't matter. How FreeCAD is supposed to become professional and go to version 1.0 with such a mentality is beyond my understanding.
I think that there should be some discussion about longevity of external workbenches, especially if people are considering dropping included workbenches. An external workbench is more likely to become less well maintained. I have a concern that there have been a number or workbenches that are now no longer maintained. There are a number of workbench that people have put a lot of work into that development seems to have stalled, I am thinking of the Trails workbench. How many workbenches are there that new users don't install due to lack of knowledge? One plus for the OpenSCAD workbench is that whilst it has its short coming, I think FreeCAD is unique in terms of offering import or SCAD and CSG files.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:41 pm Let's not forget the maintenance implications of having something in the core or as an addon, openscad wb gets enough attention from devs now that it is in the core repo, how much attention will it get if it's an external addon? The wb itself may not be very popular, I have used it very seldom myself, but despite how little it's used it's still an important WB because it allows using openscad files. I don't think it's worth risking getting the wb abandoned to save 2mb on a 1Gb download (0.2%)
Maybe consideration should be given to two (Or more classes) of external workbenches.

Class A : Workbenches that are tested to work with any new versions of FreeCAD. i.e A new version of FreeCAD can only be rolled out
(become a none Dev version) when all the workbenches in Class A have been tested and fixed if required.

Maybe some workbenches could be classified as Long Term Support?
ThanklessLiving

Post by ThanklessLiving »

If I go to the website and select the 64 bit Windows installer then the file is a bit bigger than 400 MB, not bad at all in terms of download sizes for CAD software and with a modern connection you won't be left waiting for long. Though if your connection is particularly bad then it might be a different story...
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:41 pm 2mb is encumbering?
Yes, in engineering, even 1kB is encumbering. Fortunately, Airbus engineers are not like you and go out of their way to try to save 0.2% of fuel consumption.

The Image WB was removed for absolutely no reason – it didn't even save 0.2% – and replaced by something less functional, yet you don't want to remove obsolete, unmaintained and non-functional WBs. You falsely claimed that the Path WB depended on the Robot WB and you are still here posting your ignorance.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Zolko wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:34 am The Image WB was removed for absolutely no reason – it didn't even save 0.2% – and replaced by something less functional,
What functionality was lost?
You falsely claimed that the Path WB depended on the Robot WB
Not true. Path was, at the time adrian commented, dependent on robot. That has been removed
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Zolko wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:34 am Fortunately, Airbus engineers are not like you and go out of their way to try to save 0.2% of fuel consumption.
Those with the too short cables to fulfil weight specifications? :lol:
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I think the size issue is a red herring -- it is a good thing overall to periodically review our codebase and trim out things that are unused and/or unmaintained. The continued existence of dead code can cause all kinds of maintenance issues (for example, if there are translations then translators are doing unneeded work if the code is unused). I think it's worth looking into regardless of the size savings.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

You are right chennes but there is a balance to be struck, removing things just because is not productive. I pushed for not shipping drawing anymore for example and now that path can build without robot we can discuss not shipping it anymore too.

I don't see value in removing openscad though.

To zolko: grow up man, next time you try to come after me maybe check your facts first before calling ignorance
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:53 pm there is a balance to be struck
+1

Surgery is best performed with a scalpel, not an axe.

Gene