How to make minor edits without triggering need for translation?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wakyct

How to make minor edits without triggering need for translation?

Post by wakyct »

Hello, I am fairly new to editing the wiki with one edit so far. A question came up in the "How to get wiki editing permissions" topic about minor edits and translations.

Is it possible to mark an edit such that it does not trigger a need for translation? For example a typo correction or changing an external link.

It seems like checking the minor edit box is not related to the translation system, according to @Roy_043 .

The only other method I can think of is use of translate tags, but that doesn't seem like a good idea.
What does that word mean in FreeCAD? Look in the Glossary.
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: How to make minor edits without triggering need for translation?

Post by Roy_043 »

When a page is marked for translation there is a checkbox for that:
viewtopic.php?t=73271&start=10#p640000

So the persons who mark pages have to keep an eye out for those minor edits.
wakyct

Post by wakyct »

Cool, thank you! (next time I'll look in the rest of the topic I link to ;) )
What does that word mean in FreeCAD? Look in the Glossary.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

@Roy_043
BTW - Who starts FuzzyBot to mark content on translated pages as outdated?
I assume it is launched automatically after a while after the last edit, but maybe someone, who as well is allowed to mark for translations, has to start it manually.

Sometimes I can hardly wait to be able to translate the minor edits I did on the original page.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I think 'Fuzzy' kicks in after a page has been marked for translation. But in general I tend to wait a bit before marking pages. Mainly because there are editors who work on a page over a period of several days. Marking their work every day would, I think, be inconvenient for translators.

But I see now that waiting too long in the case of minor edits can be inconvenient as well. Especially if those edits are the result of an ongoing translation process. I going to try to take that into account from now on.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

To wait some time before starting the marking for translation makes perfect sense.
It is more the situation when you have nearly finished the translation of a page, find and correct a typo in the original, and then have to wait for Fuzzy to finish the translation. But that is not really a problem.

Edit: Now with glasses on I realise that you were already aware of this... :geek: