Advice for 2023

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ceving

Advice for 2023

Post by ceving »

I try to assemble some parts with Item and Rexroth profiles. Something like tables for example:
assembly-example.png
assembly-example.png (41.79 KiB) Viewed 1185 times

I am mazed by the different assemble add-ons available. Can anybody give me an advice, which is currently (2023) suited best for my job?
Haavard

Re: Advice for 2023

Post by Haavard »

wakyct

Post by wakyct »

ceving wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:20 am I am mazed by the different assemble add-ons available. Can anybody give me an advice, which is currently (2023) suited best for my job?
To expand on Haavard's link, there recently was a series of blog posts by the company ondsel that discussed the workflow of all the assembly add-ons you might want to use.

IMO each has a particular workflow and if you're not familiar with any of them and just want to do a basic assembly it's unlikely that you're going to care about the specific pros/cons that matter to an expert user. So just try a couple out and see what works for you.

Also I think it's important to note, you don't need an assembly workbench to make a simple model like some tables.
What does that word mean in FreeCAD? Look in the Glossary.
ceving

Post by ceving »

wakyct wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:55 pm IMO each has a particular workflow and if you're not familiar with any of them and just want to do a basic assembly it's unlikely that you're going to care about the specific pros/cons that matter to an expert user. So just try a couple out and see what works for you.
I found a quote, which exactly reflects my thoughts:
“I haven’t explored any of the assembly benches as there is a big curve to even selecting one of them” (Reddit)
But the articles do not give an answer. They just come to the conclusion that some work has to be done.

wakyct wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:55 pm Also I think it's important to note, you don't need an assembly workbench to make a model with static parts like a table.
I think I am doing this right now, but it requires to calculate all positions of all items manually. Right? This results in a pretty confusing spreadsheet.

Just look at the table and think how to calculate the y-position and length of the short 45° struts. It is something like this:

Code: Select all

y: table_depth - (table_height - foot_height - plate_thickness) - profile * sqrt(2) + 52 mm * sqrt(2) - 12 mm / sqrt(2)
l: ((table_height - plate_thickness - foot_height - 2 * profile) * sqrt(2) - 52 mm - 12 mm - profile) / 2
wakyct

Post by wakyct »

ceving wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:10 pm I think I am doing this right now, but it requires to calculate all positions of all items manually. Right? This results in a pretty confusing spreadsheet.

Just look at the table and think how to calculate the y-position and length of the short 45° struts. It is something like this:

Code: Select all

y: table_depth - (table_height - foot_height - plate_thickness) - profile * sqrt(2) + 52 mm * sqrt(2) - 12 mm / sqrt(2)
l: ((table_height - plate_thickness - foot_height - 2 * profile) * sqrt(2) - 52 mm - 12 mm - profile) / 2

I think a spreadsheet is definitely a useful tool in a model, but I suggest looking into making master sketches as well. For example,

master_sketch_example.png
master_sketch_example.png (155.96 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
example_sketch_frame_pattern.FCStd
(4.28 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

The blue measurement lines are reference constraints -- they update based on the red horizontal distance constraint. The orange measurement line is calculated from the length of the horizontal line in an expression (note I renamed the horizontal distance constraint to lengthRef).

So, if you change the length of the horizontal, the vertical and angle lines will automatically update. IMO it's nice to work this way than with spreadsheets (which are useful, don't get me wrong).
What does that word mean in FreeCAD? Look in the Glossary.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ceving wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:10 pm I think I am doing this right now, but it requires to calculate all positions of all items manually. Right? This results in a pretty confusing spreadsheet.
I don't think that an assembly workbench will do the arranging in space do all by its own. I would strongly recommend to use appropriate Attachments. For such a - seemingly not very complicated - table that can well be sufficient.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.