Direct Modeling - The Future of 3D Design

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
grd

Re: Direct Modeling - The Future of 3D Design

Post by grd »

thomas-neemann wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:51 am specifically in this case a comparison between freecad and bricscad
There is no comparison between the two.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

grd wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:56 am
There is no comparison between the two.
the "same" thing is generated in these two videos. once in bricscad and once in freecad
Bildschirmfoto_2023-04-17_09-57-39.png
Bildschirmfoto_2023-04-17_09-57-39.png (152.96 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
grd

Post by grd »

thomas-neemann wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:59 am the "same" thing is generated in these two videos. once in bricscad and once in freecad
Yes, I know that. I saw the videos too. But there is no comparison between FreeCAD and BricsCAD. It is like comparing apples with pears.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

grd wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:08 am
it is intended to show that direct modeling is also possible in freecad. many people say freecad can't do it

grd

Post by grd »

thomas-neemann wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:12 am it is intended to show that direct modeling is also possible in freecad. many people say freecad can't do it
Now we are getting there. Yes, I think that it is possible. Do I want it? Yes. Do I want to program it? No.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

grd wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:21 am
ok

mfro

Post by mfro »

grd wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:21 am Now we are getting there. Yes, I think that it is possible. Do I want it? Yes. Do I want to program it? No.
I don't even want it. IMHO, direct modelling with a sophisticated parametric modeler is a time machine: throws you 40 years back in no time.

If that would be really possible, I'd rather use it to go back and buy some bitcoins :lol:
Cheers,
Markus
grd

Post by grd »

mfro wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:03 am I don't even want it. IMHO, direct modelling with a sophisticated parametric modeler is a time machine: throws you 40 years back in no time.
DM does have it's pros and it's cons. You need to be a lot more careful with it but the power of DM is huge. When you are a cowboy then yes, DM is probably gonna shoot your foot of. But I don't see that many cowboys in engineering. Stupid guys on the other hand, I see lots of them.

For the guys who are interested in DM, you can have a look at the WB Design456. But I have never tried it.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

grd wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:38 am But I don't see that many cowboys in engineering. Stupid guys on the other hand, I see lots of them.
Can not define cowboys in such case, but stupid engineers, i see maaaany, way to many. Engineers sounds wiser then normal person, but the are not, same gaussian normal distributed shitty people as anywhere, nothing special. I would even say, they are more lazy then other people, at least my experience.

Also i see DM as regression, the benefits are neglectable in compare to more work. Also in have seen how literately millions of $/€ was flushed down in water because of crappy DM (mal)functions.

Greetings
user1234
grd

Post by grd »

user1234 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:32 am Can not define cowboys in such case, but stupid engineers, i see maaaany, way to many. Engineers sounds wiser then normal person, but the are not, same gaussian normal distributed shitty people as anywhere, nothing special. I would even say, they are more lazy then other people, at least my experience.
In the past someone once told me that a lazy engineer is a good engineer. Maybe I took that quote a little bit too literally but I like it ;) I don't really like all those robots, the guy who is doing click, click, click. I like to think things out before I design something and even then you need to iterate, iterate, iterate, like that robot. NX and SolidEdge does have synchronous technology, which is a form of DM, and I loved it. At that time the company that I worked for said no, but I kept on going. F*ck those rules!
Also i see DM as regression, the benefits are neglectable in compare to more work. Also in have seen how literately millions of $/€ was flushed down in water because of crappy DM (mal)functions.
Malfunctions? What is the name of the software you are referring to?

But experience doesn't come cheap. It is part of the game.