Lines vs wires in Arch Window?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jaymo

Lines vs wires in Arch Window?

Post by Jaymo »

I'm trying to modify an Arch Window, but when I open the sketch to modify it, the features are attached to "wires", and new items ask for wire numbers, but all I see in the underlying sketch are wires.

What's the difference between a wire and a line, and how do figure out which lines comprise a closed wire?

My goal is to be able to make top and bottom sashes with more than one pane each.

Thanks!
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Lines vs wires in Arch Window?

Post by Roy_043 »

Jaymo wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:35 pm new items ask for wire numbers, but all I see in the underlying sketch are wires.
In the Windows elements task panel you can select the wires from the Wires list. Selected wires are highlighted in the 3D view and are added to the Wires input field.

Jaymo wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:35 pm how do figure out which lines comprise a closed wire?
You have to ensure that the lines in the sketch result in closed loops. T-connections and intersections are not allowed. When used as a base for an Arch_Window sketch lines can overlap though.
Jaymo

Post by Jaymo »

Hi, Roy,

Sorry, I erred in my statement.

I said "... all I see is wires."

What I meant to say was "...all I see is lines."

I.e. I don't see any wires whose number I can add to the wires list.

I'm clearly ignorant of some basic facts, and I wasn't successful searching the forum for pointers to where I might fill in the gaps.

Thanks,
Jim
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Jaymo

Post by Jaymo »

Thanks, Roy!

I'm still not entirely sure about the WIRE vs LINE terminology. But when I went through the tutorial, I see that the Window module identifies the LINES I drew with Sketcher as WIRES.

In any event, you got me moving in the right direction, and I'm confident that I can proceed successfully in this area.

Thanks very much for your time and forebearance. It's much appreciated.

Jim
mfro

Post by mfro »

"Wire" is OpenCascade (the underlying geometry kernel in FreeCAD) terminology.

OpenCascade knows about Edges (that's lines, arcs and splines - one-dimensional objects that start and end at a vertex - i.e. a point) and Wires (a compound of one or more Edges).
Cheers,
Markus