FreeCAD Tutorial for beginners

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Tutorial for beginners

Post by Shalmeneser »

chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:13 pm Please, don't teach others to topological nameing problems.
:lol:
Do not sketch upon face : TNP
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Shalmeneser wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:02 pm Do not sketch upon face : TNP
I watched only the first two minutes or so of the first new video and stopped when he attached the sketch to a face. It's one thing if people do it in their own models due to lazyness (like myself, where the punishment comes almost always later). But it's a different thing when something which is probably intended to be educational promotes such technique.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

OP apparently wanted to respond to chrisb but mistakenly used the report button instead, here's the text:
Thank you for the reminder, you are absolutely right. At first I saw "TNP" and you added a devil emoji after it. I didn't even know what it meant.
Later I learned about the "Topological naming problem", which is indeed a problem with FreeCAD. It's hard to freely implement parametric design, but isn't that the problem that FreeCAD has to solve on its way to parametric design.
In fact, I first learned about FreeCAD as a free parametric software in 2019. I think the version was 0.17 at that time, I don't remember much. I tried to use it, and I encountered a lot of different ideas from the previous software design. I didn't use it anymore because of some bugs in the modeling process.
It wasn't until I was home in quarantine during last year's epidemic that I started downloading FreeCAD again to try to create various basic models. I found that the current version is much better than the previous two years. Almost 80% of the generic models can be created by FreeCAD according to your own modeling logic. This is very exciting.
Of course, there is the dreaded "TNP" problem in the modeling process, as you call it. It seems to me that this is a problem of strong parametric logic association. But for someone who migrated to FreeCAD from another software, this is not the biggest problem he has to face. It is not the biggest problem for someone who has not worked with 3D modeling software. The biggest problem is that he has to be interested in the software. Only when he is interested, he will be willing to try it. When he sees that there are a lot of models that can be created from the software FreeCAD. Then he will try it. That's a good start.
But then again, maybe for most of my geek friends, they want to show off their maverick ways. They want to use tools that few people use and that have a threshold for use. So if FreeCAD becomes popular one day, they may be lost. (Of course, that's just me being petty).
So, in my videos I don't bother with "TPN". I'll just follow the thinking of a modeling fool and do whatever comes to mind. (I'd like to interject here, isn't modeling software a tool that is meant to be foolproof and quick to use even for the naive? I think this is the ultimate goal of popular tools)
When more people use FreeCAD, it will have a strong ability to evolve. I've seen a very good rate of evolution in the last two years.
So, I'll continue to use my faulty modeling style to produce tutorials. (Of course, I'm not saying that I'm intentionally using these wrong ways, but I'm still learning about this software myself, and as I said before, I'm learning by myself while making some tutorials to consolidate my learning, and obviously, all of them are wrong so far)
We have to believe in the fact that people have their own perception and the ability to correct errors. Especially when it comes to using tools. We don't have to worry too much about taking them to dangerous depths. When they have a basic understanding of a matter, they will generate their own ideas. If the wrong he will be very good at circumventing.
Having said all this, I am of course going to admit my faulty modeling logic in FreeCAD. I also thank "shlmeneser" and "chrisb" for pointing out my mistakes. Thank you all for your tolerance.
One more thing, if my tutorials are not suitable to be posted in this forum. Please do let me know. Or you can delete this post, I have no problem with that. To be honest I'm not very good at operating this post.
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

The TNP is unfortunately very easy to encounter. The linked video shows how easily this can happen.
link --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSsVFu929jo
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.
RussellWillis

Post by RussellWillis »

Dear Xiaolong ,

Thank You for the Tutorial 02, I found it most entertaining. I'm a New FreeCADer. I learned some New Techniques (Your "Bottom Up" style with Padding) and look forward to doing more of your Tutorials. I'm a RC Modeller. :)
BeastOfBodmin

Post by BeastOfBodmin »

jbraun wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:19 pm The TNP is unfortunately very easy to encounter. The linked video shows how easily this can happen.
link --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSsVFu929jo
Is this 2yo post still relevant wrt TNP?

Especially since it is mentioned about 7:00 that there are patches that fix the TNP bug, and are not merged into the official code base.

(I am a FreeCAD n00b, and FreeCAD still does not make much sense to me).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It is still relevant. Currently much work goes into integrating the improvements.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Miri tech workshop

Post by Miri tech workshop »

My new video 3D model in FreeCAD
Have a nice day :)
https://youtu.be/yhzYT54B534
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Miri tech workshop wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:46 pm My new video 3D model in FreeCAD
You should start your video by showing the version of your FreeCAD.