Having "Check Geometry" available also in PD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

Having "Check Geometry" available also in PD

Post by Piero69 »

avoiding to run around WBs looking for tools is always a good thing and make FC increasingly productive and less amateurish. i feel useful having the "Check Geometry" tool available also in PD, what do you think?
onekk
Veteran

Re: Having "Check Geometry" available also in PD

Post by onekk »

Piero69 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:58 am avoiding to run around WBs looking for tools is always a good thing and make FC increasingly productive and less amateurish. i feel useful having the "Check Geometry" tool available also in PD, what do you think?
Not too useful as Check Geometry is more a "Boolean Operation troubleshooter tool", as it is told in an old discussion, on which an OCCT developer told us about something interesting.

Specificaly this post:

viewtopic.php?p=204395#p204395

and this post:

viewtopic.php?p=204752#p204752

Sadly I've tried to poke some developers to know it these considerations are still valid, but I haven't had an answer yet.

EDIT: see below for updated infos.

Hope it helps

Regards

Carlo D.
Last edited by onekk on Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

You can customize your tools : Std_DlgCustomize
Attachments
Annotation 2023-03-31 100239.jpg
Annotation 2023-03-31 100239.jpg (6.21 KiB) Viewed 695 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

what do you think
Makes perfectly sense to me.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:06 am You can customize your tools : Std_DlgCustomize
Mine has been like this for a long time.

I appreciate the fact that I can add what I like to the toolbars...and I make good use of the capability.

In fact, I just put it on the global toolbar, this allows me to have my choices at all time.

I particularly, like having the create sketch tool in Part WB, Curves WB, and Lattice2 WB.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I also have it in PartDesign. Especially when curved faces such as threads are involved, it can give helpful insights.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I think check geometry would be a good tool to have globally available, maybe in a menu (Tools?) to not crowd all wb toolbars. Plus those who don't understand it may go crazy over false positives if we put the command front and center without conveying this.
onekk wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:05 am Sadly I've tried to poke some developers to know it these considerations are still valid, but I haven't had an answer yet.
tanderson69 (AKA blobfish, the one making the patched version of occt we use) has recently said he dove deep into one of the common warnings given by the tool and confirmed that it is overzealous and can be safely ignored most of the time: viewtopic.php?style=5&p=669185#p669185
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

onekk wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:05 am Not too useful
Like others I added it to my PD toolbar.

I use it frequently. It shows a lot more than just Boolean errors.

Gene
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:17 pm ... Plus those who don't understand it may go crazy over false positives if we put the command front and center without conveying this.
But, Std_Part was put front and center, so the precedent has been set. ;)

So, so many new users plop down a Std_Part because it appears, by toolbar position, to indicate it is required to start a Part Design session.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

not comparable IMO, and adding an unnecessary Part container does not hurt anyone either.