Lobbyist Wars and BIM Development - data industry and finance capitalism

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
maker

Lobbyist Wars and BIM Development - data industry and finance capitalism

Post by maker »

Hi all,

accidentally I found today this series of articles analysing relations between data industry and finance capitalism.

A series of articles titled “Lobby Wars and the Development of BIM” describes the evolution of ideas and the progress of data sharing in the construction industry since the 1980s. The articles provide the historical background to the issues facing every construction company today. Overall, the number of views on social platforms exceeded 150,000 views. Part 3 with the BIM history map was the most viewed article in this series, while Part 2 about the struggle between OpenBIM and ClosedBIM and Part 5 about how big finance funds control the data industry were the most commented.

Lobbyist Wars and BIM Development

Part 1: Format STEP-IFC and how Revit conquered the CAD world

Part 2: open BIM VS closed BIM. Revit vs ArchiCAD and Europe VS the Rest of the World

Part 3: Fathers of BIM Technologies. Who is behind the success of Autodesk and openBIM

Part 4: The fight between CAD and BIM. Monopolies and lobbyists in the construction industry

Part 5: BlackRock — the Master of All Technologies. How Corporations Control Open Source

Part 6: Reasons for speculation in the construction industry. Corporate monopolies over data

Part 7. Open Source in Construction. Opacity of the IFC Format and buildingSMART

History-of-BIM-THE-HISTORY-OF-BIM-1-scaled.jpg
History-of-BIM-THE-HISTORY-OF-BIM-1-scaled.jpg (661.9 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Also, now this map is available for commenting: to add a comment to this diagram or to examine in more detail individual fragments of the map, follow the link:
BIM Development Map from 1980 to the present
Last edited by maker on Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carlopav
Veteran

Re: Lobbyist Wars and BIM Development - data industry and finance capitalism

Post by carlopav »

Super interesting. Thanks
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

maker wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:33 pm ...
very interesting info. I believe that the closed bim (expensive) is used by the few large companies and the open bim (inexpensive) is used by the many small companies. that's exactly where i suspect a frequent use of freecad with its open-bim in the near future
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Super interesting series! Long to read but a lot of info, and I think they got pretty well the whole commercial push behind BIM!