Frustrated by Arch Roof!

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jaymo

Frustrated by Arch Roof!

Post by Jaymo »

I've been trying to add a simple hip roof to my house model, and am at my wit's end.

I've tried repeatedly reading and following the extremely terse documentation on arch roof, and can't manage to even get a roof to appear.

I noted that the default roof type was "flat", which isn't what I wanted, but when I changed it to "hip_roof" nothing changed. There's nothing that I can find in the documentation that even mentions roof type, so I felt I was grabbing at straws to no avail.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. My forehead is bruised from bashing it against my keyboard and display at this point.

I'm hoping that I'm just making some silly fundamental mistake, but for the life of me, I can't see it.

From "About Freecad":

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.2.29177 +426 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached from 0.20.2)
Hash: 930dd9a76203a3260b1e6256c70c1c3cad8c5cb8
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods:
* 3D_Printing_Tools
Folli house.FCStd
(145.59 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Syres
Veteran

Re: Frustrated by Arch Roof!

Post by Syres »

I don't think you're the only one, it has been recommended in the past to install https://github.com/ebrahimraeyat/PitchedRoof addon but it's not in the AddonManager to the best of my knowledge so you need to open Edit menu > Preferences > AddonManager and add the url and branch exactly (note the space between the url and the branch name as per:
Custom_repository.jpg
Custom_repository.jpg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Edit:spelling
Last edited by Syres on Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

https://wiki.freecad.org/Arch_Roof wrote:1. Create a closed wire
Your wire is not closed. Note that just changing the Closed property of the wire does not work in this case. The points of the wire are not accurate enough, the 1st and 5th points do not match exactly. You may want to pay more attention to accuracy and snapping. And why not create a Draft_Rectangle instead?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

I am about to move to Arch/BIM sub-forum for discussion about bug / feature improvement, but see Roy_043's comment :)

Maybe good to add to Archi/BIM wiki about the pitched roof add-on?

Feel free to move as necessary.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Jaymo wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:06 pm ...

this is about determining roof lines, but you can also construct a roof in this way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp6bWh3End4

phpBB [video]
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
Jaymo

Post by Jaymo »

Roy,

Good catch! My first attempt was clearly NOT closed, which I noticed by zooming in on it, so I deleted it, and re-drew it more carefully. The second time, I thought it was closed, as the beginning and ending point listed were the same in the data in the model. I don't know how to use the open/closed variable, so didn't mess with that. I think I should study the snapping feature more closely, I had endpoint snapping turned on, and thought I was snapping to corner points on the second floor walls, but it sounds like you saw something I missed, so I'll go back and fix that first.

Thanks again!
Jim
Jaymo

Post by Jaymo »

Syres,

I have yet to be able to get addonmanager to work; always trouble with the nameserver or something like that. It's been a while since I wrestled with that, and with your information, maybe I'll be successful this time!

Thanks for your input,
Jim
Jaymo

Post by Jaymo »

Thomas-Neemann,

Thanks for the interesting-looking link. I'll check that out as well. It's always good to have more than one way to skin a cat, as the odd English locution goes...

Jim
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Hi Jaymo, if you find the problem is solved, please add e.g [Solved] before the Subject in your first post.

Jaymo

Post by Jaymo »

Roy,

Thanks again for noticing the non-closed wire.

I fixed that, and I'm off and running.

I do have one question: is there a setting or parameter value that will automatically close the top of the roof? I had to keep fiddling with the "run" until it seemed to close at the top.

Thanks again,
Jim