[TechDraw] Too large bounding box around detail view

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
domad
Veteran

Re: [TechDraw] Too large bounding box around detail view

Post by domad »

broxtor wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:05 pm .....
But in the mean time I'm facing a lot more issues with techdraw. Centerlines don't stay where I put them and dimensions are also all over the place. So I guess I'm going to have to find an alternative.
Hi broxtor, greetings to the Community!
Well there's no doubt that TD sometimes gets on your nerves!
But you have to be patient (he's still a "baby"!) and find alternatives (not of software but different representative solutions) to avoid that he (TD) keeps throwing "tantrums".
I guarantee you that once established, with him (TD), a strong friendship and esteem the results (and satisfactions) will not be long in coming.
Here are some results of my "friendship" with TD:
- viewtopic.php?p=628555#p628555
- viewtopic.php?p=638304#p638304
- viewtopic.php?p=652709#p652709
and although he's still a "tantrums child" it shows how valid and alive (!) the project is, I doubt that the alternatives you're looking for can offer so much at no cost!
So my advice is to be understanding and patient, continue to study TD and FreeCad in general, actively participate in its development also through suggestions, experiments and requests for help, etc., constantly follow the problems reported and update the version weekly of FC.
A greeting
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

rich61 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:04 am Its true that completing a drawing, then going back to Sketcher making changes causes a lot of dimensions to 'forget' what was being dimensioned.
Help on this is coming. See viewtopic.php?t=77042 and viewtopic.php?t=76815.
broxtor

Post by broxtor »

Here is an example of a centerline created in Sketcher. It will stay in the center no matter what since it is centered by a Sketcher constraint.

In TechDraw 'view properties' you have to set Hard Hidden to True.
In TechDraw Preferences you'll want to assign hidden line type to dashed
Thanks for the tips. For some situations this may be a workable workaround.
domad wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:13 pm
broxtor wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:05 pm .....
But in the mean time I'm facing a lot more issues with techdraw. Centerlines don't stay where I put them and dimensions are also all over the place. So I guess I'm going to have to find an alternative.
Hi broxtor, greetings to the Community!
Well there's no doubt that TD sometimes gets on your nerves!
But you have to be patient (he's still a "baby"!) and find alternatives (not of software but different representative solutions) to avoid that he (TD) keeps throwing "tantrums".
I guarantee you that once established, with him (TD), a strong friendship and esteem the results (and satisfactions) will not be long in coming.
Here are some results of my "friendship" with TD:
- viewtopic.php?p=628555#p628555
- viewtopic.php?p=638304#p638304
- viewtopic.php?p=652709#p652709
and although he's still a "tantrums child" it shows how valid and alive (!) the project is, I doubt that the alternatives you're looking for can offer so much at no cost!
So my advice is to be understanding and patient, continue to study TD and FreeCad in general, actively participate in its development also through suggestions, experiments and requests for help, etc., constantly follow the problems reported and update the version weekly of FC.
A greeting
Don't get me wrong: I do see the potential of the TechDraw workbench. Already the functions and features it provides are really useful and working with the workbench is very easy. And I do understand that it takes time "for a baby to grow up". That does not change the fact that it is not working for me now and since I don't have the programming skills myself, there's little else for me to do then find alternatives in order to get the drawings I need. So my comment was not intended as negative feedback to developers, but to let others know not put more effort in answering my initial questions.
wandererfan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:30 pm
rich61 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:04 am Its true that completing a drawing, then going back to Sketcher making changes causes a lot of dimensions to 'forget' what was being dimensioned.
Help on this is coming. See viewtopic.php?t=77042 and viewtopic.php?t=76815.
That looks really promising. I could give compiling a try and if that succeeds I would be able to do some testing as well.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

broxtor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:11 pm ....
That looks really promising. I could give compiling a try and if that succeeds I would be able to do some testing as well.
Greetings to the Community!
....this is the right approach, but please publish your impressions and what, according to your experience, should be adjusted to make the function/s more flexible/usable. ;)
broxtor

Post by broxtor »

I'm using Linux for quite some time now and have also compiled various pieces of software. I found it often a daunting task because of missing dependencies and poor documentation. FreeCAD turns out to be different: I followed the guide on the wiki and it compiled right away. Not a single error on missing packages! Amazing! :D
domad wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:06 pm ....this is the right approach, but please publish your impressions and what, according to your experience, should be adjusted to make the function/s more flexible/usable. ;)
Not sure if you mean here but here are a few:
  • First of all: dimensions, centerlines and such should stay in the place where they were put. If they don´t they make the workbench pretty unusable.
Everything else is enhancing the experience or productivity. Some examples:
  • When inserting a projection group with 3 views in one of the views the hard hidden lines and seams are set to true, in other views they aren't.
  • Entering data in the title block is now field by field. For each field a dialog opens. It would be more convenient if one dialog opened that has al the fields. That would be less clicking.
  • Adding center lines to circles can be done from centerlines toolbar. Adding centerlines to rectangles/squares/other shapes can be done from annotations toolbar. The latter gives me an option to change line type and such. The first doesn't.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Greetings to the Community!
In my opinion this topic should be moved to the specific TechDraw forum, could a moderator kindly intervene if he deems it useful?
broxtor

Post by broxtor »

I did some more experimenting. I compiled this one:

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.32643 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: LTNPAutoCorrect4
Hash: cbc9231fc0fef5d8f02d7f851b7eb5f0146309d5
Python 3.10.6, Qt 5.15.3, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.5.1
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * Assembly3 0.11.4
I opened my assembly (created in realthunder link branch) and fixed some errors in the model.
In Techdraw the views get updated only partially. Before refresh:
After the refresh everything is there again. Even the center lines and dimensions I put in earlier! This is already a great improvement!

And also the bounding box around the detail is as small is possible!