Elements Widget height

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Elements Widget height

Post by abdullah »

I am reworking the Elements Widget to convert it to a proper view model and to incorporate layers.

The widget would greatly benefit from some extra height.

I have a large monitor, but with all the recent changes, I think it may be possible to increase its height.
Screenshot_20230325_090757.png
Screenshot_20230325_090757.png (17.47 KiB) Viewed 866 times
I think in the past we tried different settings that did not work for everyone (and honestly I have forgotten about what the issue was).

How much more is reasonable for tiny screen owners to increase this widget?

@openBrain
@uwestoehr
@chrisb
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Elements Widget height

Post by openBrain »

For me it's currently correct with a standard Full HD monitor.
Actually I often have Report View + Python Console opened, so I even don't see the Elements widget without scrolling down. ;)
sketcher.png
sketcher.png (50.29 KiB) Viewed 847 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:18 am How much more is reasonable for tiny screen owners to increase this widget?
The solver messages widget at the top is a must for me. For me the following behaviour would be highly appreciated for the Constraints and the elements lists:
- constraints and elements use the whole remaining height
- on first opening (per session) of Sketcher constraints and elements have both the same height
- the size between constraints and elements is adjustable in order to see more of one of them at the cost of the other.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:51 am
abdullah wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:18 am How much more is reasonable for tiny screen owners to increase this widget?
The solver messages widget at the top is a must for me. For me the following behaviour would be highly appreciated for the Constraints and the elements lists:
- constraints and elements use the whole remaining height
- on first opening (per session) of Sketcher constraints and elements have both the same height
- the size between constraints and elements is adjustable in order to see more of one of them at the cost of the other.
Not exactly that, but just changing the policy of the widgets from "MinimumExpanding" to "Expanding" and removing the Maximum size, will allow that upon collapsing one, the other takes extra width.

This is one appimage some months old:
Peek 2023-03-25 12-15.gif
Peek 2023-03-25 12-15.gif (589.71 KiB) Viewed 789 times
This is just changing the policy to Expanding and removing the maximum size:
Peek 2023-03-25 12-16.gif
Peek 2023-03-25 12-16.gif (228.43 KiB) Viewed 789 times
I am not sure why we have "MinimumExpanding" instead of "Expanding". I am still missing quite some extra space under the widgets...

Does anybody has anything against this minimum change?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

I was forced the last 2 years to regularly use FC on a 14.x inch laptop. There also the last time I checked (January), the sketcher dialog was so long that one had to scroll.

I find it stupid to make CAD on such a small screen, but as employee, you have to use what the company gives you. But OK, nowadays (since Corona) many have just his laptop (shared desktops).

Long story short, CAD should be done on a proper screen (25 inch or so), but since reality is sometimes not like this, I share @paddle 's opinion that vertical size matters. So let's say, if it fits to a 17 inch screen, this would be nice.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

uwestoehr wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:39 am
I was forced the last 2 years to regularly use FC on a 14.x inch laptop. There also the last time I checked (January), the sketcher dialog was so long that one had to scroll.

I find it stupid to make CAD on such a small screen, but as employee, you have to use what the company gives you. But OK, nowadays (since Corona) many have just his laptop (shared desktops).

Long story short, CAD should be done on a proper screen (25 inch or so), but since reality is sometimes not like this, I share @paddle 's opinion that vertical size matters. So let's say, if it fits to a 17 inch screen, this would be nice.
Here I do not want to prejudice either group (the ones having a 14 inch, 36 inch or anything in between). Of course, lean controls as Paddle's ideas are to stay. My original question was more directed to what the situation was for the group of 14 inches now after all Paddle's ideas are merged.

If you tell me you still have to scroll, then there is no point in making them bigger by default. Changing them to expanding and removing maximum size property (as in the screenshot above), helps and I think it does not impact any group negatively. But I keep listening as I am not good at this UI things.

In addition, I would still want to find a way so that the taskboxes cover all available area when there is such space available. But I have not investigated that yet, as I am with other issues. Of course, if anybody would like to work that out, I would welcome it.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Another idea could be to merge the two widgets into one. This may be possible with the new model - view architecture, and may even be helpful in managing the visibility of geometry and constraints together. However, that is a separate thing to experiment on after the new elements widget is working and merged. I am not sure if we will have the same functionality we have now that way. So it is a future thing.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I personally switch between a 38" screen and a 14" screen and I find the current size good. I personally wouldn't want them to be bigger. Especially since I think we should aim at making the taskbox floating in the 3Dview (ie transparent taskview). Since this would enable us to show the tree and the tasks at the same time.

I don't want to feel pushy, but if I was to suggest something it would be to rather to go back to tool setting branch, as down this line we have the much asked for offset and a lot of quality of life. So I think there would be more value there than in reworking the widgets.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I think it would be agood idea to make it possible to make the widgets larger, but not make them larger by default. Currently I use a 1080p 17" display and the current widgets size fits perfectly to not need scrolling.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:35 pm Currently I use a 1080p 17" display and the current widgets size fits perfectly to not need scrolling.
A certain screen size may be sufficient to not scroll the widgets. But that's not the point. If I have only 9 constraints and 11 elements then no scrolling is needed inside the lists. Alas, models have rather often more elements and very often more constraints. Making the lists bigger means less scrolling, and what's at times more important: show more of them together, e.g. when selecting all constraints associated with an element or vice versa.
Abdullah's proposal is already a big improvement. For me the optimum would be to have a dragable split line between them. If this finds your approval, I would dig into the Qt creator and see if/how it can be obtained.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.