Image Workbench is missing on the latest Weekly.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Image Workbench is missing on the latest Weekly.

Post by thomas-neemann »

wmayer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:06 pm ....will be implemented soon.....
thank you very much
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
gozlikehell

Post by gozlikehell »

For me personally and I'm sure for others, the beauty of the Image Workbench was for reverse engineering. I could use it to scale to size to create objects from images. Just scale and position. Then start drafting and sketching to trace and create an object in 3D. As a separate workbench? Ok, I can understand that those three buttons could be condensed to somewhere else, but to remove altogether? That might be a bit extreme. For more advanced image manipulation tools? Well, that would be a grandiose undertaking when there is plenty of image editing software out there already.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

You can still do all of that: it has been integrated into Core. Opening an image will load it in the 3D view, and double-clicking on its entry in the tree will give you scaling options. I believe @paddle is working on refining the UI, but it is pretty basic.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
bgma1961

Post by bgma1961 »

chennes wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:22 pm You can still do all of that: it has been integrated into Core. Opening an image will load it in the 3D view, and double-clicking on its entry in the tree will give you scaling options. I believe @paddle is working on refining the UI, but it is pretty basic.
I don't understand why remove something that works before there is a working replacement.

I have files drawings that cannot be opened now.
Gets the following message:
Cannot create object 'ImagePlane': (No module named 'Image')

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.32532 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: masters
Hash: 20e44eba50e1365b9e7bb9c5c244afe96a627a28
Python 3.10.10, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US) [ OS: Swedish/Sweden (sv_SE) ]
Installed mods:
   * dodo 1.0.0
   * fasteners 0.4.54
   * Reporting
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

gozlikehell

Post by gozlikehell »

Glad to see it's being worked on. But yes, this does change old files and really changes existing files. If the old functionality can be preserved. I do see Load Image in the Tools menu. Is this part of the fix? It just happens to be a feature I have been using a LOT lately. It disappeared on me mid stream in the current project. I am currently using version .21 on Ubuntu, but sometimes I'm on Win10.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

bgma1961 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:18 pm I don't understand why remove something that works before there is a working replacement.
As a reminder the 0.21 is the development version. I know it came to a point where people consider the 0.21 as a release version because it's super stable, but it's good to remember that the dev version is expected to sometime have such things happening.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

gozlikehell wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:59 am ...
But yes, this does change old files and really changes existing files. If the old functionality can be preserved. I do see
bgma1961 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:18 pm ...
I don't understand why remove something that works before there is a working replacement.
Development version are stable enough to be used, and usually if something break it will work after some days, it is called "development" for this reason.

I know that most of the times we will say use 0.21 as it is stable enough for everyday work, but if you want a bullet proof stability, taking in account that some bugfixes are integrated in point releases but not all of them.

It has not been taken without reason, and after some discussion done here:

viewtopic.php?t=76884

a quick summary:
- Image WB was an old WB not touched for years and that need some refreshing, as the functionality is used it has been chosen to integrated in in Core (i.e FreeCAD base functionalities).
- it was intended to be a starting

Good move in my opinion, less things around to crowd 'Mod' directory of source tree.

And @wmayer has even done some work to make it retrocompatible with old file, (this usually happens in FreeCAD as Long Term stability has proven to be one of the main concern of core developers.)

Simply this is one case where you have to wait some days (usually less than a week) to have FreeCAD "development" working "as expected", usually user complains if they have some reason to be raised are not ignored by developers.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

gozlikehell wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:59 am Glad to see it's being worked on. But yes, this does change old files and really changes existing files. If the old functionality can be preserved.
With the next developer snapshot version you can load old project files without problems. That's what the above linked commit is about.
I do see Load Image in the Tools menu. Is this part of the fix? It just happens to be a feature I have been using a LOT lately. It disappeared on me mid stream in the current project. I am currently using version .21 on Ubuntu, but sometimes I'm on Win10.
No, the Load image function was already there before the fix. The old image wb had three functions:
  1. Load image into an MDI view. That's now the function under the Tools menu.
  2. Load image into 3d view and attach it to a plane. That's now done with the general File > Open/Import mechanism
  3. Scale image. In the new version you can double-click an image object and change the width/height which is in px. An option will be added to get the width/height in mm (or whatever is the unit for length). What's also missing is the way to scale the image by clicking two points. This will be implemented, too.
So, from a functionality point of view nothing is lost. The only difference is that it's part of the core system now and doesn't have its own extension module and workbench any more.

For a user this actually makes it easier because you don't have to switch between workbenches any more when doing something with images.
For developers it makes it easier too because the code of the removed image viewer was way too complicated and thus very difficult to maintain or extend.
bgma1961

Post by bgma1961 »

paddle wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:26 am
bgma1961 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:18 pm I don't understand why remove something that works before there is a working replacement.
As a reminder the 0.21 is the development version. I know it came to a point where people consider the 0.21 as a release version because it's super stable, but it's good to remember that the dev version is expected to sometime have such things happening.
It should also be remembered that if no one were to use the dev version, many bugs would probably never be found before release