Image Workbench is missing on the latest Weekly.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

Re: Image Workbench is missing on the latest Weekly.

Post by leoheck »

@LHC I believe the image on that case will be there. the functionality to load a pic and resize it that changed.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

bambuko wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:27 pm I was somewhat surprised at the speed with which it happened... ;)
me too... ;)
LHC

Post by LHC »

leoheck wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:15 pm @LHC I believe the image on that case will be there. the functionality to load a pic and resize it that changed.
Thanks - I will dig into it some more - I have a couple of models in process that use a bunch of image objects and the original images are long gone. The only place they are now is in the model. Wouldn't want to lose em.
Cheers,
Lewis
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

On GH there is ticket about things that should be implemented. Feel free to add a comment to support old project files with an image.
LHC

Post by LHC »

wmayer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:23 pm On GH there is ticket about things that should be implemented. Feel free to add a comment to support old project files with an image.
I'd love to if I knew how to run GH - I barely know what a ticket even is. If you can post up a link to this I can try to add a comment. Thanks for your work on this.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

LHC wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:30 pm If you can post up a link to this
issue #8556
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
LHC

Post by LHC »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:38 pm
LHC wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:30 pm If you can post up a link to this
issue #8556
Comment added about supporting older files with images.
Thanks
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Hmm, I can see the reasons to remove and merge the Image WB since it did not had much functionality, so I would not say that I am against it, but I am also not sure if it was really necessary. Two reasons that IMO could make sense to keep it as a WB, first if over the time maybe some more image tools would be added, it would probably be better and easier to have it as a WB, but I don't know now what other image tools would make sense to have :roll: and second in case with the different variants of "ribbon" toolbars it was IMO good to have WBs as tabs and nice to have an image tab... Don't know, maybe this changes and decisions just feel a bit fast... :?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

first if over the time maybe some more image tools would be added
The Image wb has existed for 15 years or more without offering much functionality. So, I doubt that this would have changed any time soon. But nevertheless even if some new functionality for the new image viewer is needed that still can be done by directly adding a toolbar to the viewer class. It doesn't have to be a workbench for this.