Image Workbench is missing on the latest Weekly.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mfraz74

Re: Image Workbench is missing on the latest Weekly.

Post by mfraz74 »

wmayer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:14 am
gozlikehell wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:59 am Glad to see it's being worked on. But yes, this does change old files and really changes existing files. If the old functionality can be preserved.
With the next developer snapshot version you can load old project files without problems. That's what the above linked commit is about.
I do see Load Image in the Tools menu. Is this part of the fix? It just happens to be a feature I have been using a LOT lately. It disappeared on me mid stream in the current project. I am currently using version .21 on Ubuntu, but sometimes I'm on Win10.
No, the Load image function was already there before the fix. The old image wb had three functions:
  1. Load image into an MDI view. That's now the function under the Tools menu.
  2. Load image into 3d view and attach it to a plane. That's now done with the general File > Open/Import mechanism
  3. Scale image. In the new version you can double-click an image object and change the width/height which is in px. An option will be added to get the width/height in mm (or whatever is the unit for length). What's also missing is the way to scale the image by clicking two points. This will be implemented, too.
So, from a functionality point of view nothing is lost. The only difference is that it's part of the core system now and doesn't have its own extension module and workbench any more.

For a user this actually makes it easier because you don't have to switch between workbenches any more when doing something with images.
For developers it makes it easier too because the code of the removed image viewer was way too complicated and thus very difficult to maintain or extend.
Is the scaling by clicking on two points going to be implemented soon? It is the only reason I used the Image WB.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mfraz74 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:48 am Is the scaling by clicking on two points going to be implemented soon? It is the only reason I used the Image WB.
If I'm not mistaken, then is paddle working on it. Beyond that: it's done when it's done.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Is the scaling by clicking on two points going to be implemented soon? It is the only reason I used the Image WB.
I think so. I actually haven't ported it because the workflow is a bit awkward and not very user-friendly. But the idea behind it is nice.
Bernard19

Post by Bernard19 »

Hello
I can't find "Core" in the addon manager. Where to find "Core", does it have this name, how to load it?
Cordially
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Bernard19 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:03 pm I can't find "Core" in the addon manager. Where to find "Core", does it have this name, how to load it?
Core is the system which is always available. You don't have to load it. If you want an image plane, just import it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I can't find "Core" in the addon manager. Where to find "Core", does it have this name, how to load it?
That's part of FreeCAD itself.
gozlikehell

Post by gozlikehell »

Thank you for all your work so far. I've discovered how to drag and drop image files into the project. The only 2 issues left would be:

1.) Handling of old files created with the former workbench. As stated before, these files lose their images
bgma1961 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:18 pm I have files drawings that cannot be opened now.
Gets the following message:
Cannot create object 'ImagePlane': (No module named 'Image')
2.) And image scaling from 2 points. Yes, the sizing properties are there, but scaling from 2points is lost.
wmayer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:14 am Scale image. In the new version you can double-click an image object and change the width/height which is in px. An option will be added to get the width/height in mm (or whatever is the unit for length). What's also missing is the way to scale the image by clicking two points. This will be implemented, too.
Like stated before, thank you for all of your work. I guess I'll wait and see what comes of it. Yes, I understand workflow and release issues and how it might take some time to see the results.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

bgma1961 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:18 pm I don't understand why remove something that works before there is a working replacement.
Exactly what I thought.
The old scaling feature is the most important part.
Without it, the current thing is mostly useless.
Also, the old code exists. It could have been embedded in this new UI. But removing it completely until it is reimplemented is a really bad move.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

leoheck wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:39 pm
bgma1961 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:18 pm I don't understand why remove something that works before there is a working replacement.
The old scaling feature is the most important part.
Without it, the current thing is mostly useless.
Here you go, a macro based on the old Python code for you to use as a workaround for the time being.

Tested using:

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.32548 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: d246f36932dd4977239bdd966f14a224ba48c499
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.12.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.7.1
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods: 
  * Silk 1.0.0
  * A2plus 0.4.60k
  * CurvedShapes 1.0.4
  * freecad.gears 1.0.0
  * Curves 0.6.8
  * PieMenu 1.2.4
  * toSketch 1.0.1
  * Plot 2022.4.17
  * AirPlaneDesign 0.4.0
  * fasteners 0.4.54
  * sheetmetal 0.2.62
Attachments
ImageScale.FCMacro
(8.83 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Syres wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:13 pm Here you go, a macro based on the old Python code for you to use as a workaround for the time being.
Very good contribution to leave room for a good built-in solution.