Feature request: return to previously opened preference

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Feature request: return to previously opened preference

Post by chrisb »

When fine tuning preferences, it is often needed to go repeatedly to the same preference page. Example: Preferences->TechDraw->Scale->Vertex scale
It would be very convenient if the last used Preference page would be reopened, when reopening the preferences again, i.e. with the example given above, the Preferences->TechDraw->Scale tab would directly be opened.

What do you think?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Re: Feature request: return to previously opened preference

Post by user1234 »

Optional, yes. Without optional, no.

Greetings
user1234
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Would that be enough that it's remembered within the session but lost when closing FC?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I agree that this would be a nice addition (and yes, @openBrain, I think that would be fine). Actually the real reason that the "Preference Packs" is on the very first page is because it has to reload the preference dialog after running a pack, and I wanted it to look like you never left!
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

openBrain wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:41 pm Would that be enough that it's remembered within the session but lost when closing FC?
Of course only in the session.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:31 pm Optional, yes. Without optional, no.
Is there a certain use case you are thinking of?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

FYI, the class DlgPreferencesImp already provides the method activateGroupPage() that activates a certain page number of a category. All what's needed is to save the name of the category and the page number when clicking on OK.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

That was fast. Thanks!
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:14 pm Is there a certain use case you are thinking of?
Easy. If i go in a session in t he preferences, normally i did not know, what i did there before, only on very rare occasions i know that (some tweaking). So everytime when would i go in the preferences with the view as before, i have to reorient where i am. Also since the list of workbenches is pretty long, i find this annoying. But it is not a showstopper.

Greetings
user1234