[Preferences] 'Editor' and 'Python console'

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

[Preferences] 'Editor' and 'Python console'

Post by paddle »

I'm currently looking at the preferences.
I saw two tabs 'Editor' and 'Python console'. Is there a reason why those are two separate tabs? Can't we merge them in one?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Preferences] 'Editor' and 'Python console'

Post by chrisb »

There is not much to configure for the console, so these preferences woul fit physically on the editor page. But these are rather different things and another tab does not really do much harm.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I would argue that there are so many tabs that the important 'Unit' tab is not visible.

We could make one tab called 'Python' where both the python editor and the python console would have their settings. As that would all fit well on one tab.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

paddle wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:19 pm We could make one tab called 'Python' where both the python editor and the python console would have their settings. As that would all fit well on one tab.
Sounds reasonable.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I think that sounds good: there are definitely too many tabs right now.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I saw two tabs 'Editor' and 'Python console'. Is there a reason why those are two separate tabs? Can't we merge them in one?
The options of the Python console don't make sense for general text editors. If you want to reduce the number of tabs for General then we can also create an new group name. There we can e.g. move the tabs Editor, Python console, Notification area, Report view and Macro.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

wmayer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:28 pm
The options of the Python console don't make sense for general text editors. If you want to reduce the number of tabs for General then we can also create an new group name. There we can e.g. move the tabs Editor, Python console, Notification area, Report view and Macro.
I'm not against your proposal but the options of the console that don't affect the editor can easily be placed on a groupbox with a header "Console options", the syntax highlight options that are on the editor tab do affect the python console for example so IMO it is best to put all these in the same tab.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

wmayer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:28 pm The options of the Python console don't make sense for general text editors. If you want to reduce the number of tabs for General then we can also create an new group name. There we can e.g. move the tabs Editor, Python console, Notification area, Report view and Macro.
The editor is a python file editor exclusively. So having a Python tab for both, with 2 group boxes would make sense.
Adding a new group wouldn't help much IMO.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

paddle wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:07 am Adding a new group wouldn't help much IMO.
This is in contradiction with
paddle wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:19 pm I would argue that there are so many tabs that the important 'Unit' tab is not visible.
:?
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I meant the total number of tab would be the same, just reorganized in different groups.
But that would mean adding an additional group.
I'm not sure what the group could even be called.

So When I said it wouldn't help, I meant it wouldn't really help in improving the UI, because there would be one more group and the same amount of tabs overall.

Besides the tab 'editor' the name is not clear for the user. First many probably don't know there is a python editor in FC. And editor doesn't indicate what kind of editor it is. And in a cad software python editor is not the first thing to come to mind.

For this reason I think it would be best to group them in one python tab even if the number of tab was not so big.