[Preferences] 'Editor' and 'Python console'

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Re: [Preferences] 'Editor' and 'Python console'

Post by paddle »

openBrain wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:06 pm
paddle wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:20 am +1 to move the unit back to General. Regarding the fact that it is too crowded I offer several solutions ideas :
I think we need some houseworking.
I'd propose something like :
* Move "Macro" + "Editor" + "Python Console" to another group category
* Move "Preference packs" to a dedicated tab
* Bring back "Unit" and eventually some other important stuffs to "General/General"
+1 for python group and unit. But not sure for pref packs yet.
After thinking about it, the python group does sound good to me. However I suggest to also :
- remove the 'workbench' group and add the tab to the general tab.
- I understand that the initial goal of the workbench group was to load wb to have their setting tab appear. But I think it's not really intuitive. So instead I suggest adding a "... more" button at the end of the group list. Clicking this button would open a actionMenu with one entry for each workbench. Clicking it would load the wb.
Last edited by paddle on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

paddle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:44 am After thinking about it, the python group does sound good to me. However I suggest to also :
- remove the 'workbench' group and add the tab to the general tab.
- I understand that the initial goal of the workbench group was to load wb to have their setting tab appear. But I think it's not really intuitive. So instead I suggest adding a "... more" button at the end of the group list. Clicking this button would open a actionMenu with one entry for each workbench. Clicking it would load the wb.
I would suggest to keep your PRs small & focused. One step after the other. The discussion already has derailed from its title. ;)
Do a step, merge, discuss next one. ;)
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

A little about terminology, I call "Group" the "big icons" in the Preference window, and Tab the "Tab element".

Maybe, this will be a decent grouping?
  1. adding an "Advanced" tab in General and join "Selection and Cache" here. Result more space in the tabbar.
  2. Moving Preference Packs and maybe "color related" things to an "Appearance" Group, moving maybe even "StyleSheet" and "Size of Toolbar Icons" that now are in "Main Window" frame on "General" tab. This make all "graphics" customization in same Group.
  3. Python Related things should go in a dedicated Tab ("Report View" will be in "Python tab" or not?)
  4. Place "Units" contents in "General" after "Language" in a dedicated "frame" with "number of decimals".
This maybe will result in a more cleaner "groups" and "tabs".

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

i make my macro only with the macro Editor of FreeCAD

i do not need anything ... only one real editor of code (for a year i use the good Editor Assistant )

@paddle i you make change , SVP in Tab Editor check Insert space by default (instead Tabulations)

thanks

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

paddle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:44 am - remove the 'workbench' group and add the tab to the general tab.
I don't know about removing the workbench group... I was thinking maybe it makes sense to merge the addon manager and workbench categories, they seem related and contain only one tab each currently.
sounds good! but as openBrain says, better to go step by step. This seems a good improvement for a future PR.
onekk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:08 am [*] adding an "Advanced" tab in General and join "Selection and Cache" here. Result more space in the tabbar.
I'm not sure if this is really beneficial, with the other changes being discussed I think there's enough space in the general category.
[*] Moving Preference Packs and maybe "color related" things to an "Appearance" Group, moving maybe even "StyleSheet" and "Size of Toolbar Icons" that now are in "Main Window" frame on "General" tab. This make all "graphics" customization in same Group.
this makes sense, +1
[*] Python Related things should go in a dedicated Tab ("Report View" will be in "Python tab" or not?)
Report view is not really python related, it's relevant in regular freecad use too, I guess not that much with the notification system but still.
[*] Place "Units" contents in "General" after "Language" in a dedicated "frame" with "number of decimals".
+1