[Feature Request] [WB MeshPart] Please make "Create Mesh from Shape" and the two "Unwrap" functions parametric/automatic

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
michacassola

[Feature Request] [WB MeshPart] Please make "Create Mesh from Shape" and the two "Unwrap" functions parametric/automatic

Post by michacassola »

I am working on a workflow where I create 3D surfaces that need to be 2D to be cut out of a material to then be assembled again to create the 3D shape. Theoretically similar to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JyiMy8rBv4
To come up with variations of the same base design it would be great if not only the 3D surfaces were parametric/automatic but also the following steps of meshing and unwrapping.

Secondary request:
I tried to create a macro to at least get the steps of doing it into fewer clicks but it doesn't work applying the macro to another surface. Will I have to go into Python and stuff to make the macro universal?
Also, it would be nice to have it parametric/automatic from the start to not even need this macro.
Last edited by michacassola on Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Feature Enhancement Request] Please make "Create Mesh from Shape" and the two "Unwrap" functions parametric/automat

Post by adrianinsaval »

this request has been made before I think, can you check if there's an issue on github for this and if not create one?
michacassola

Re: [Feature Enhancement Request] Please make "Create Mesh from Shape" and the two "Unwrap" functions parametric/automat

Post by michacassola »

Ah, sorry, I searched but didn't find anything. Maybe the search here is not the best?
I will search the GitHub issues also again and see if there is anything in this direction in there.
Sometimes words used can also be so different that the same thing is meant but not found...
Thanks!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] [WB MeshPart] Please make "Create Mesh from Shape" and the two "Unwrap" functions parametric/autom

Post by adrianinsaval »

unfortunately the forum search function is trash, but the important part is to get an issue into github anyways