Licensing

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Licensing

Post by easyw-fc »

user1234 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:30 pm It is not allowed to use and distribute it. You can optional use it, but then it must installed separate from the user itself. And there are many occasions, where this can not useable (example: companies with own digital ecosystem).
Assembly3 LinkBranch is distribute as a bundle with the WB and the solver included.
Then I see no issues.
So the point is that FreCAD can be distributed ad GPL3 with Assembly3 and the solver.
The question is... the need for a stable assembly WB with a widely tested solver is less important then having a LGPL sw?
user1234
Veteran

Re: The need for a default assembly workbench

Post by user1234 »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:19 pm So the point is that FreCAD can be distributed ad GPL3 with Assembly3 and the solver.
Only as addon, and to be honest, i think that is also only a gray area, but i am not an expert. At least the user must force something and it is not default.

easyw-fc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:19 pm The question is... the need for a stable assembly WB with a widely tested solver is less important then having a LGPL sw?
That is the point! And for companies, that is crux, especially, they are maybe one of the biggest user of it. In small companies or working shacks, this does not matter. But for middle or big companies, then they can not install something, just because they want something, also no addons, IF they even have access to the internet (this is not always given!). Besides to a CAD, there should be an assembly per default installed (not speaking from commercial CADs, where there this is sometimes an extra license), and FreeCAD seems to be mature enough, to get one per default.

Greetings
user1234
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:19 pm Assembly3 LinkBranch is distribute as a bundle with the WB and the solver included.
Then I see no issues.
Just repeating myself... LinkBranch is a bundle with full A3WB and solver included. No needs to extra downloads.

Moreover I cannot understand the difficulty for a company to be allowed to install a sw LGPL and not allowed to install a sw GPL.
The only limitation would be if they would need to change the code to sell the modified sw without distribute the source code...
Am I missing something?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:51 pm LinkBranch is a bundle with full A3WB and solver included. No needs to extra downloads.
https://opensource.stackexchange.com/qu ... with-gplv3
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.ht ... braryIsGPL

Only just because you do something, does not mean you are allowed to do it. Also if companies insert a program in their ecosystem/repo, they do not use any fork.

easyw-fc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:51 pm Moreover I cannot understand the difficulty for a company to be allowed to install a sw LGPL and not allowed to install a sw GPL.
The only limitation would be if they would need to change the code to sell the modified sw without distribute the source code...
Am I missing something?
Also if a company consider to insert a program to their ecosystem/repo, they of course look on the licenses (if they can use it, it is clean, are they allowed to modify it in their purpose if necessary for example for their PDM/PLM or ERP), because they do not like it to get oneself into hot water.

Greetings
user1234
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

user1234 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:16 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:51 pm LinkBranch is a bundle with full A3WB and solver included. No needs to extra downloads.
https://opensource.stackexchange.com/qu ... with-gplv3
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.ht ... braryIsGPL

Only just because you do something, does not mean you are allowed to do it.
here I have lost you...
I know quite well GPL and LGPL, but I really miss your doubt in GPL vs LGPL for a company use.
user1234 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:16 pm Also if companies insert a program in their ecosystem/repo, they do not use any fork.
In fact I was just saying that we should merge A3WB and solver in FC.
user1234 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:16 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:51 pm Moreover I cannot understand the difficulty for a company to be allowed to install a sw LGPL and not allowed to install a sw GPL.
Am I missing something?
Also if a company consider to insert a program to their ecosystem/repo, they of course look on the licenses (if they can use it, it is clean, are they allowed to modify it in their purpose if necessary for example for their PDM/PLM or ERP), because they do not like it to get oneself into hot water.
A company is allowed to change and distribute also a GPL sw, even if they decide to change it... the only issue is that they should distribute also the modified code...
I cannot see any hot water for the company, unless they would sell the modified product... but this would be a small issue for the FC community which would receive a stable and tested assembly environment as @realthunder fork has showed in these years.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:28 pm here I have lost you...
I know quite well GPL and LGPL, but I really miss your doubt in GPL vs LGPL for a company use.
There are two things mixing.

- FreeCAD can not use the solvespace solver libary, since it is GLPv3. Similar case in LibreDWG library incident, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreDWG.

- A (medium/big) company will insert a software in their ecosystem/repo, which have maybe license issues. It will be rejected from the beginning, independent if they only use it, or modify it. I will stuck before it is starting.

Greetings
user1234
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

FreeCAD has a clearly documented and enforced policy for code in our repo.

I am not a lawyer but everything I've read says that if you distribute a GPL3 module with an LGPL application, the entire work would be considered GPL3. That's clearly not the intent of the FreeCAD project.

As already noted, automatic installation and other tricks gets into a grey area of what it means to 'distribute'. It should be fine for a user to install assembly3 (and solvespace) if they take the independent action to do so. That's just not what we're talking about for an integrated solution.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

user1234 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:37 pm There are two things mixing.

- FreeCAD can not use the solvespace solver libary, since it is GLPv3. Similar case in LibreDWG library incident, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreDWG.
But I said that FC could be bundled as GPL3 with the A3WB and solver, as LinkBranch...
Then there will be no issue.
And if FC community would like to keep LGPL, then the A3WB and solver would be out of the distro LGPL.
It could be a double flavor for users.... Your need for assembly is a must... Then get the GPL version, your need is instead for a strictly LGPL license, then you will miss the assembly option.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:49 pm It should be fine for a user to install assembly3 (and solvespace) if they take the independent action to do so. That's just not what we're talking about for an integrated solution.
Then a mature assembly product will be on a far horizon, I would regret.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:52 pm But I said that FC could be bundled as GPL3 with the A3WB and solver, as LinkBranch...
And again, not allowed.

easyw-fc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:52 pm And if FC community would like to keep LGPL
Must, beacuse it uses OCCT.

Greetings
user1234