Licensing

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Licensing

Post by chrisb »

sliptonic wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:23 am I wish you hadn't done that, or at least asked about it.
Sorry, I can easily merge it back. Talking about the solver license of an existing or future workbench seemed to me to be of similar relevance like talking about the programming language to be used.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

wmayer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:18 am Or is it allowed to use a GPLv3 module as an Addon in a LGPL software ?

This is perfectly allowed.
Thanks for the reply. It confirms to me that it is legitimate to have Assembly3 under GPLv3.
But, considering that now py-slvs is installed separately as a module of python3 system, perhaps it is not really necessary.
We could have all (FreeCAD and Assembly3) covered by LGPL.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

wsteffe wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:39 pm
wmayer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:18 am Or is it allowed to use a GPLv3 module as an Addon in a LGPL software ?

This is perfectly allowed.
Thanks for the reply. It confirms to me that it is legitimate to have Assembly3 under GPLv3.
But, considering that now py-slvs is installed separately as a module of python3 system, perhaps it is not really necessary.
We could have all (FreeCAD and Assembly3) covered by LGPL.
According to the compatibility matrix on Gnu.org the combined product is GPL3. This would make FreeCAD incompatible with closed source and commercial extensions. This contradicts the stated reason for choosing LGPL in the first place.

It may be permissible to include GPL3 code alongside LGPL code. Whether it's desirable for FreeCAD to do so is a different question.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

sliptonic wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:25 pm According to the compatibility matrix on Gnu.org the combined product is GPL3
If both components (FreeCAD and Assembly3) are licensed under LGPL (as I was suggesting) why should the combined product become GPL3 ?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

FC can be distributed as LGPL and the solver add-on with GPL.
Only if the user is willing to install the add-on and then he/she would decide to distribute the sw with the add-on included, its licence has to be changed, other ways the package can maintain LGPL.
No legal issues or grey zone here.
Just a reliable assembly product.
Last edited by easyw-fc on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

easyw-fc wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:17 pm FC van be distributed ad LGPL and the solver add-on with GPL.
Yes the solver (py-slvs) is licensed under GPLv3 but it is not included in the Assembly3 module.
On my platform it had to be installed separately in python3 giving the command

Code: Select all

sudo pip3 install py-slvs
So, if Assembly3 doesn't include any GPL3 code, why it can't be licensed under LGPL and integrated with FC distribution as all other modules ?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

sorry form the phrase that had some automatic correction... I just wanted to say exactly what you are asking... FC + A3 could be distributed as LGPL and the add-on could be installed at user's will.
So, if Assembly3 doesn't include any GPL3 code, why it can't be licensed under LGPL and integrated with FC distribution as all other modules ?
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

easyw-fc wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:35 pm FC + A3 could be distributed as LGPL and the add-on could be installed at user's will.
Ok. So when yoy say addon you are actually meaning py-slvs.
But I wouldn't call it an addon. Addons are the modules installed with FreeCAD Addon Manager. Not the python modules that the user installs with pip.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

wsteffe wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:43 pm Not the python modules that the user installs with pip.
Py-slvs can be installed through the new adfons manager automatically
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

easyw-fc wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:47 pm Py-slvs can be installed through the new adfons manager automatically
But is it in the list of available addons or it is just installed, as a requisite, when you install assembly3 ?