Review of FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD on the web

Post by Zolko »

thomas-neemann wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:28 am I just mean different configuration files that create customized user interfaces.
It has been begun with préférence packs, but hasn't been finished
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Zolko wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:57 pm ...

ok, thanks
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
mfro

Post by mfro »

iplayfast wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:29 pm... we should be able to report to OCCT the exact circumstances that can cause a problem...
Maybe that didn't come over: at least some of the (most painful) issues are documented (in the OpenCascade user manuals). For a developer, that basically means: "works as designed".
My assumption is that fixing these issues isn't high on the OpenCascade priority list. Maybe because their (paying) customers use the library for viewing applications mainly.

If you just want to display a STEP file, you don't necessarily need a foolproof thickness algorithm since the thickness is already there.
Last edited by mfro on Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Markus
iplayfast

Post by iplayfast »

mfro wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:23 pm Maybe that didn't come over: at least some of the (most painful) issues are documented (in the OpenCascade user manuals). For a developer, that basically means: "works as designed".
Got it. We have buggy code because we are relying on buggy code. occt is opensource? Is there a for instance problem that is quickly understandable?
Probably beyond me, but I'm willing to take a look.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

jimmihenry wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:37 pm But today a guy called Thomas Sanladerer made a YouTube video.

I like FreeCAD because it is fun to work with. However not everything is NOICE when it comes to the usage, it won't be for everyone.
But Thomas has a point there.

So far Thomas is heavily involved in Fusion360 that will be kicked in the nuts by FreeCAD. Hopefully soon!

You may noticed the forum server went on it's knees, well now you know when the video was live on YouTube.

Escape from the claws of the corporate CAD overlords - with FreeCAD!
phpBB [video]
Firstly, could you tell in what way Thomas is invplved with Fusion 360? Depending on the involvement it could as well be grounds for lawsuits from FC's end.

IMHO the biggest bias in this video is the fact that he front loads the negatives, without posing the reasons why FreeCAD is this way. I myself often find it difficult to watch and focus on a video beyond the point that it seemed to make at the start.

FreeCAD isn't a swiss army knife as much as a toolbox if it chooses to be. The various pieces don't have so much relation to each other as can be apparent in the GUI.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

jnxd wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:53 am ....he front loads the negatives, without posing the reasons why FreeCAD is this way. ....
+1

I suspect he has not dealt with freecad enough to publish such statements.

jnxd

Post by jnxd »

thomas-neemann wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:13 am
jnxd wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:53 am ....he front loads the negatives, without posing the reasons why FreeCAD is this way. ....
+1

Don't get me wrong, I think there's some valid criticism. But the reasons it is this way is that there is only so much time in developers' hands, and only so many developers. Perhaps it'll change in the future.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

a noted many times.

OCCT is the only open source Cad engine around, so there is little things around to be confronted.

OCCT has his flaws, buggy things are mainly old code that is difficult to maintain and probably there is some need to rewrite something from scratch, as when you deal with assesed code the risk of breaking compatibility when you rewrite things from scratch is high.

It is not easy from what I know from some developers report to interact with OCCT @tanderson69 probably could have some more hints or considerations to add about collaborating with OCCT.

Regards.

Carlo D
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
racemaniac

Post by racemaniac »

jnxd wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:15 am
thomas-neemann wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:13 am
+1

Don't get me wrong, I think there's some valid criticism. But the reasons it is this way is that there is only so much time in developers' hands, and only so many developers. Perhaps it'll change in the future.
How is that relevant? All he reviews is the current state of FreeCAD, why would the cause of that state be relevant to potential FreeCAD users? It's still hard to use & pretty buggy, that's his message, that's what his viewers want to know.

I'm a happy user of FreeCAD, but i'm a bit disheartened by the reaction to this video. He makes valid complaints. Period. It's of course not nice to hear that about something you put a lot of effort in, but if it's true, learn from it and move on. It seemed to still generate a lot of interest into FreeCAD, since the forum apparently had issues right after that video due to a lot of people having a look here. But at least thanks to that video those people had realistic expectations and were still interested :).

But the many deflections i read here make me fear this will forever remain this open source tool by and for the elite who don't mind struggling with lots of half working tools and hard to understand UI. I hope the goal of this project is to fix the isuses Thomas complained about, and not to stop people like Thomas from complaining about obvious big issues.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

racemaniac wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:27 am ...
I don't think it's appropriate to complain about open source software. If someone wants it different, anyone can change it or hire someone to have it changed