Level of Detail in Meshes

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MooCow1988

Level of Detail in Meshes

Post by MooCow1988 »

Hi all;

I'm trying to reduce the level of detail (specifically the number of points, or vertices) in a mesh when I create it from an object created via fusion. I've tried mesh decimation, but I require so much decimation that it distorts the end result beyond recognition. Is it possible to control the number of points created by the Part window functions (loft, sweep, extrude, etc) so I don't have to use decimation (or at least not have to decimate as much)?

Thanks.
onekk
Veteran

Re: Level of Detail in Meshes

Post by onekk »

Probably you could find something in Mesh WB, but usually the Meshing, is the last operation as Part WB as example is not aware of meshes, is working on FreeCAD solids that coukd resemble a Mesh if they are derived as example from a STL, but are solids.

What WB and what version of FreeCAD are you using?

Use information supplid in the banner above: IMPORTANT: ....

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Level of Detail in Meshes

Post by chrisb »

That sounds rather like a question to the Fusion export. You should consider converting the mesh to a shape and then rebuild it using (external) references to distinguished points. That's the only way I know to get away from the degraded tesselation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.