[discarded] User accessible settings for modelling precision

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Ulicad

Re: Only partial "Shape View" settings?

Post by Ulicad »

In general, there are no requirements for high accuracy in a CAD-model from my side.

Independently of this, as a user of FC, it is of high importance to me to avoid uncertainties and surprises to the max. wherever possible. It is freeing attention for other things.

My actual case is the loaf pan, where fillets may not be modelled resulting in a smooth arc in a laser cut. This applies to curved shapes in general IMHO. (Let alone how accurate a particular laser machine can cut..)

To edit/control such settings by the user:
If there are two items/values only, where a user can set the precision used in FC processings ("internal" processing), this issue can be closed soon.

In Preferences, by now I found:
1) General -> Units -> Number of decimals
Since the no. of decimals used in processing is influencing the time required to execute a command I would expect that this setting is influencing processing time. If so, it must be one of the controls searched for.

2) Part Design -> Shape View -> Tesselation
If similar is valid for both settings in Tesselation too, Tesselation as well is one item searched for, since it is influencing the hard work of processing...

As far as I can comprehend.
chrisb wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm ... expert settings ...
... Please tell us, why you are interested in this. ...
#1: I did not find them yet - would you direct me?

#2: please see above

regards
Uli

Where could I find more processing accuracy-related settings? Chrisb hinted to semething like 'expert' settings?
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
chrisb
Veteran

Re: User accessible settings of modelling precision?

Post by chrisb »

The number of decimals set in the preferences doesn't influence the internal accurracy of the calculations. It is only a display thing and, of course, it suggests to not input more decimals - although you can.

Expert settings for Sketcher:
Preferences->Sketcher->General->TaskPanelWidgets->Show Advanced...
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Ulicad

Re: [solved] User accessible settings for modelling precision

Post by Ulicad »

Thank you all!

The topics title and OP is a bit cleaned now and marked as solved.

What still is missing IMHO is this extended(?) GUI-panel, I could not find in the menues:

precision-2.png
precision-2.png (91.77 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Does anyone have a clue how and where to find it?
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Ulicad wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:15 am Does anyone have a clue how and where to find it?
It's not in FreeCAD (Link version?). You should ask the author of the image.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

chrisb wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:25 am ... It's not in FreeCAD ...
Thanks for this valuable piece of information!

Since this is not genuine FC, it is not considered here.

(do not need to have the 'final word' - the reply only tells a little more of what apppears interesting to me)
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Source of the image:
viewtopic.php?t=75047
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

Roy_043 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:42 am Source of the image:
viewtopic.php?t=75047
Yes, thanks!

Only, I can not sufficiently interpret this: Version: 2022.1128.26244 +5318 (Git) - it's still a riddle for me, as it is said to NOT beeing FreeCAD genuine or original, for that case..
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Ulicad wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:56 pm 1) General -> Units -> Number of decimals
Since the no. of decimals used in processing is influencing the time required to execute a command I would expect that this setting is influencing processing time. If so, it must be one of the controls searched for.
No the processing time is not affected by this setting, this is only the number of decimals used to round parameters for user convenience, sketcher's solver and the geometric kernel use much finer precision than this internally, chrisb has already pointed out where you can control this in sketcher (although you'll almost never need to) and for the kernel most of the time a base tolerance of 1e-7 is used (not user configurable), but this is adjusted on a case by case basis by the kernel, we've seen a couple of situation where something went wrong there and the tolerance went ridiculously high causing errors, but manually messing with these is not advisable either.
2) Part Design -> Shape View -> Tesselation
If similar is valid for both settings in Tesselation too, Tesselation as well is one item searched for, since it is influencing the hard work of processing...
this setting does influence processing time as it relates to meshing of the shape for display
The topics title and OP is a bit cleaned
it seems you removed the entire text of the initial post, please don't do stuff like this, it makes things confusing.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:25 pm
The topics title and OP is a bit cleaned
it seems you removed the entire text of the initial post, please don't do stuff like this, it makes things confusing.
As Adrian said: don't do that. If you want a prominent place for your conclusions, you can well edit your first post, leave what was written there, and add a new section which you clearly mark as edited.

Besides I'm not sure if the connection between "accuracy" and the number of decimals is very accurate, which may be due to our language barrier. A native speaker may enlighten us about the accurat definitions of accuracy, precision, ... in this context.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

If you think some text is useless, strike it ([ s ] tags)