dressup messup.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

dressup messup.

Post by freman »

Hi,

I am applying a dressup using boundsbox to crop down a mill face op.

The dressup stock is not placed according to the entered values. See screeny.

The part length is 186, so the offset of -156 should take me to -30 but it's showing at -44.
The RH X extent of zero is setting the dressup stock at -14. Consistent with previous but equally wrong.

The Job's stock X extents are both zero , so align to the part.

The u-block-pad.Length=186 , however, this was previously 190mm. That difference is -14.
IIRC Job45 was created before that change. It seems some invisible parameter has not changed with the model. All looks correct on screen in 3D view but this offset is appearing in setting up the dressup bounds box.

There seems to be a fair number or regressions in master since I was forced to rebuild because of the incompatible toolcontroler changes. My previous build was probably 3mo old, though I'm not sure.

This is too broken to be much use right now. I'm spending more time messing around to work around and post bugs and not getting anywhere with the job.

Also entering Job Edit frequently shows lots of errors, trashed the FCStd file and I need to recover last backup file.

:(

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.32323 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 5ac308e8a65c7022ef851463d8ab5e1ba4b5edbe
Python 3.10.10, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk , OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods: 
  * FreeCAD_Assembly4 0.11.10
  * FreeCAD_assembly3
Attachments
dressup-messup.png
dressup-messup.png (111.93 KiB) Viewed 372 times
dressup-messup.FCStd
(173.57 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
CoderMusashi

Re: dressup messup.

Post by CoderMusashi »

So I have never taken the time to use the boundary dressup until you pointed out an issue. This feature is great. Instead of choosing extended models boundary box I chose Create Box from the dropdown menu. Made the length 10" the width 1.5" and left the height whatever it said. The cool thing I was wondering turned out to be correct and that is you can change the position of that boundary box you just created. I have a picture attached showing the dressup I created selected and then the position changed in the X and Y. These are excellent properties to have included so thanks to whoever chose to do this for this dressup path. I will assume it was sliptonic but that is speculation lol. Note the green box is the boundary stock the dressup created. Hope this helps give some insight on working with boundary dressup.
dressup.png
dressup.png (153 KiB) Viewed 299 times
freman
Veteran

Re: dressup messup.

Post by freman »

I'm glad you've discovered boundary dress-up. It is very useful in getting around some limitations of 2.5D path tools. However, your reply does not address any of the issue raised.