message spamming.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

message spamming.

Post by freman »

Hi,

feedback: the new message window may be nice for raising visibility of some messages but it's getting real annoying popping up worthless warnings about G0 feed rates. The message window stays up quite a long time and masks the status bar which I need to refer to constantly for coordinate readout when working on paths.

In the past I've managed to skip over these messages in the report view , which seems a suitable place for them.

Code: Select all

20:17:44  Base.WARNING: Tool Controller feedrates required to calculate the cycle time.
20:17:44  Base.WARNING: Tool Controller feedrates required to calculate the cycle time.
Now they are gettting in my face and requiring I constantly take care of them instead of doing what I need to do.

I could set feed rates but I don't care and don't want to waste time doing this for every tool in every job. I just let the machine do G0 at its default fastest speed for that axis. I don't want to check what the machine can do and mirror it here. If I tune the machine faster or slower, I don't want to start rewriting all my gcode files to keep them in sync. This is a waste of time.

Please get these banal warnings out of my work flow, like it used to be.

TIA.
Attachments
msg-spam.png
msg-spam.png (12.91 KiB) Viewed 756 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: message spamming.

Post by chrisb »

Did you check the preferences? I think you can switch them off.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks Chris, there does indeed appear to be such an option. Sadly it does not seem to affect anything, even after an FC restart.

Toggling activation on a drilling path is stacking them up in the pop up window.
Attachments
msg-spam.png
msg-spam.png (61.67 KiB) Viewed 742 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The question is why this must be a warning at all? If the message doesn't require the user to take care of anything then it should be degraded to a normal output message.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Agreed, this should not be a warning. Downgrading it is probably the most suitable and simplest way to stop it getting in the way.

Just to confirm the option does not work: I saw the pop-up with the warnings and went to verify what the prefs were on this, since I'd checked the suppress warmings option.

To emphasise , this was just to view what the setting was , I did not touch it.
Attachments
no-supress-msgs.png
no-supress-msgs.png (129.46 KiB) Viewed 632 times
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

If you check "Suppress Velocity Warning" this warning should switched off
Gruß Herbert
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Should ? Have you tried it ?

Why should turning off an option about velocity warming affect warnings about rapids, when the option about suppressing warnings about rapids doesn't ?

Hint: it doesn't.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I am not convinced that making this a normal message is really advised. The message insinuates that just the calculation would be affected, but in reality it is more than that. As this reaches beyond FreeCAD into some milling system it is the right thing to issue a warning:

It is possible that the speed is controlled outside of the G-code and everything is ok. Thus it is no error.

But it is also possible that without a speed component in the G-code the mill may do the wrong thing, such as going straight down instead of ramping which can do damage to the tool, the workpiece or even the machine. That would make a warning very appropriate.

Of course it is not desirable, to spam the notification system with repeated messages. Which shows that the messages may have to be reworked to fit the new non intrusive notifications.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

But it is also possible that without a speed component in the G-code the mill may do the wrong thing,
Then that is a totally different situation. The machinist needs to know his h/w specifics. This "warning" is just about the ability to estimate the total job time, for which it needs the rapid speeds.

If you program a rapid speed you need to use the lowest common denominator. My Y is slower than X since it moves more weight and has slower accel. if I program a horizontal rapid speed for a tool I slow the machine down !
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Are you sure these warnings are related to G0?

They look like they apply to the normal G1 rates.

I get those warnings if I have not set an ordinary rate, but I do not believe I see them for rapids.

The spamming behavior is another topic. :twisted:

Gene