message spamming.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: message spamming.

Post by freman »

Good point Gene. That may explain why the rapids option was not stopping them.

Surprisingly I do not define horizontal speeds for drill bits ! That seems to be a problem for FC now.

Maybe I can set it to 1nm/min to stop it whining. It would make more sense if it warned me that I had a non-zero horizontal speed for a drill.

Thanks for spotting that, at least it gets this particular thorn out of my backside. :)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

freman wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:22 am Surprisingly I do not define horizontal speeds for drill bits !
You are setting the speed for the drilling operation as well as the drill bit. In most cases there will be movement in the horizontal direction.

Some, but not all, will be G0 speed while other moves will be G1 speeds.

It is true that the drill is not cutting when moving horizontally, but I do not think the "cutting" has any role in path creation. It's is all about movement.

Gene
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

There are feed rates and rapids. In what context would I need horizontal feed rate with a drill?
Just curious, I may be unaware of something.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

freman wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:45 pm In what context would I need horizontal feed rate with a drill?
Do you drill a single hole repeatedly and never move to drill a different hole?

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:57 pm Do you drill a single hole repeatedly and never move to drill a different hole?
I do this, but the horizontal movement is always done in plain air, and thus the horizontal speed can well be done at no matter what speed, especially at rapid speed. For various reasons it can be advised to do it slower though.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Code: Select all

For various reasons it can be advised to do it slower though.
That's what I was curious about. When would this be required?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freman wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:40 pm That's what I was curious about. When would this be required?
Less stress on the machine? Less wiggle?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

If your CNC machine "wiggles" when it does a rapid move with no load. Good luck cutting some material.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Has there been some PR to change this in the last days?

I just did git pull and a new build and now I'm getting what looks like errors relating to this code. I've tested a couple of backups of the project and they are all now failing.

Code: Select all

23:29:54  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/~/freecad-build-master/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathUtils.py", line 70, in new_function
    res = function(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/~/freecad-build-master/Mod/Path/Path/Op/Base.py", line 828, in execute
    self.job.Proxy.getCycleTime()
  File "/~/freecad-build-master/Mod/Path/Path/Main/Job.py", line 678, in getCycleTime
    if len(self.obj.Operations.Group):
<class 'AttributeError'>: 'ObjectJob' object has no attribute 'obj'
23:29:54  Recompute failed! Please check report view.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:35 pm Has there been some PR to change this in the last days?
I don't think that the new message window touches any of the Path code. This looks rather as if you loaded very old projects.